Leafspring modified attachment point(s)

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Doug

Leafspring modified attachment point(s)

#1 Post by Doug » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:49 pm

1970 Nova suspension front & rear with a 10 bolt under a 1940 Chevy body.
If I modify the attachment point(s) on the rear part of the leafspring, Will this work without any problems? Such as handling or suspension function of the rear?
We are thinking about welding new shackle mounts about 1" further front of the mounts that are already in place. Will this give us a bit more rear suspension travel?
Thanks

Doug

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:58 am

I don't think an inch would make a lot of difference as compared to a stock Nova shackle setup, it would lower the car slightly perhaps.

Not sure what your mounting options are or what you're working on, but maybe another idea if you're wanting to try and lower it a little bit is sliders, that's what I use on the back of my car instead of shackles. Here's what I'm talking about

These are generally used for dirt track cars, it frees up the suspension a bit and lets you lower the car some too.

Doug

Nova rear suspension

#3 Post by Doug » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:54 pm

Hi Beyond,

Thanks for the idea's & photo of the Nova rear suspension. I will try to talk the owner into usinf the system that you have shown me.

Thank you again.

Doug

JohnDougherty

sliders

#4 Post by JohnDougherty » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:58 pm

Where can you buy the Landrum sliders? All I find is the Afco ones and they require a chrysler leaf spring.
BTW that Nova is awesome!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm not sure that Landrum is even in business anymore, I had a heck of a time getting those sliders from them in the first place. Just get the Afco's, I'm pretty sure they are wide enough for the Nova spring eye but you will need to narrow the lip on a Nova poly bushing a little to get them to fit.

Or you could just buy a set of Calvert Split Mono springs for the Nova, those use the chrysler spring eye.

I would bet that Landrum was just reselling the afco's anyway.

JohnDougherty

#6 Post by JohnDougherty » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:56 pm

I did find this website that has them, or I think has them since the part number is LSS2540
http://www.cmwraceparts.com/Springs/springs31.html

I just bought a set of the split leafs for my 67 Camaro, along with the Caltrac bars. They look great! The sliders are for my 63 Nova and I wanted to try the factory monoleaf springs first.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:15 pm

That looks like the right pn, just keep in mind the only difference is likely the bushings that come with it. I think the widths are the same but it wouldn't hurt to verfiy that with Afco.

Oh, verify also that is the ones with the roller bearings. There is another model, not sure if it's afco's or not, that use a plastic slider. Those don't look like they would move as freely as the bearing model to me.

JohnDougherty

#8 Post by JohnDougherty » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:45 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Here is a picture of the two types they offer..
http://www.cmwraceparts.com/images/landrum/lss2540.jpg

A friend of mine is a dealer with Afco and says they only offer the Chrysler width style.

The plastic ones you mention have the teflon block instead of the bearing outside?
Speedway sells these,
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/d ... roduct.htm
I assume these are the Afco ones since they are for Chrysler springs only.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:57 pm

The ones I have on mine are the ones marked Chevy here http://www.cmwraceparts.com/images/landrum/lss2540.jpg

I dealt with Landrum directly and they screwed up the order royally. Maybe if you dealt with that dealer it might work better for you.

Yes, those Speedway ones are the ones with the plastic blocks I've seen before at different places.

JohnDougherty

#10 Post by JohnDougherty » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:58 pm

I received the sliders today from Capital Motorsports. Easy transaction, ordered them 11/9/05 thru thier website. They look great. They are slightly different than the picture, these have a steel bushing instead of the teflon for the spring eye.