Low Drag Seals/Grease?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

John_Heard
Site Admin

#16 Post by John_Heard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:56 pm

Bob it's a Wagner PN R105801 .954 piston size, it's off a 85 S10 with manual brakes. That master requires you to make something to retain the pushrod from falling out, it only has a dimple in the piston, not a hole like most manual master cylinders. It's also a quick take up design, it's a bit harder to bleed the way it's made.

John I'll have to take a look at that seal on mine and see if that will work.

Goat Hearder

#17 Post by Goat Hearder » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:28 am

The gear oil in the hub is not a new idea. Next time you see a big rig look at the front hubs. They can use 50 weight syn. motor oil as well as some of the transmissions. Hauling 50,000 lbs they cut drag as much as possible. Some of the other ideas may work but at the times some of you all run I don't think I'ld bet my car or my Butt on KY or vasaline! I work on some construction equipment and some of it uses some moly synthetic oils, and this stuff takes a hell of a beating! I'ld recomend looking at some truck lubes also. I think Amsoil and Lucas make a product for coating a 5 th wheel on a big rig, but you would have to look at the load bearing capabilities of the lubricant. Do you have a locale oil distributor who may be able to answer some of that for you?

jones_performance

#18 Post by jones_performance » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:48 pm

the grease that LAMB components uses is super slick.
Kevin

sc racing

#19 Post by sc racing » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:20 am

Not the same subject but has anyone heard of running trans fluid in the rear end? My car will not see any street use at all and its a spool with street gears.
Thanks.

novaz

friction reducers

#20 Post by novaz » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:53 pm

Back in the UK a lot of guys on cycles used this i did some down up hill freewheeling contets and it does make a difference.

http://www.microlon.com/lubes_greases.php

Mike Peters

#21 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:52 am

sc racing wrote:Not the same subject but has anyone heard of running trans fluid in the rear end? My car will not see any street use at all and its a spool with street gears.
Thanks.
I'd think you want to stay with the "shock-absorbing" qualities of the gear lube's heavier weight. Will make the gears last longer and the street gears are brittle anyway.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

jones_performance

#22 Post by jones_performance » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:12 pm

sc racing wrote:Not the same subject but has anyone heard of running trans fluid in the rear end? My car will not see any street use at all and its a spool with street gears.
Thanks.
lamb componenets also sells gear lube that is low drag, its used by almost all the prostock guys. it aint cheap though and permantly stains your clothes. its on their website. http://lambcomponents.com/parts/misc.htm
Kevin

sc racing

#23 Post by sc racing » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:25 pm

$40 or so is way cheaper than a new ring & pinion!!
Thanks for the info.

stimpy

#24 Post by stimpy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:47 am

when did the superstock thing we took the bearings and applied as little grease to them as possible an made sure the inside of the hubs where dry some guys went as far as making a hub packing so there was little room for the grease to fall out we used vasoline as a grease , you could do a days racing but had to clean and inspect the bearings before the next outing ,we would burn up bearings if we hot lapped more than 3 times i thought about the truck hub way as it should work with the standard seals as the grease liquifiys in a car hub and gets slung to the center of the hub cavity or cap you would have to make a cap with a o ring like wilwood does and make a screw in plug to keep the lube in there , we only fill the hub on semis to just cover the rollers and it gets slung out to the sides when it gets rolling the reason they use oil instead of grease is they have to adjust the bearings as they wear and if you loosen them you have to repack them and its easier to check them by removing the cover to inspect them .

79 Camaro

#25 Post by 79 Camaro » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:55 pm

Hey guys, I just bought some new Strange brakes for the front and back on my Camaro and I am trying to figure out what grease to use to pack my wheel bearings. Someone had mentioned Lamb grease... Will that be compatible with the seals and bearings that came with my strange kit? The Lamb grease is still thick and not thin like fluid right?? Or should I just use the regular stuff from like o'reilly's or something?

Is this the stuff?
http://lambcomponents.com/parts/detail/ ... Grease.htm

Thanks
Adam
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

TubbedTruck67

#26 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Hey Adam, I cant help yah with your grease question, but what made you decide on the strange brakes? Its time to buy brakes for my car, Ive been looking into all of them, I was leaning towards the wilwoods, I hadnt heard anyfeed back on the strange. Just curious what was the seller on em for yah. I do like the one piece rotor they have. Sam

79 Camaro

#27 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Hey Sam,
I have only had one person tell me about a problem someone had with Aerospace brakes, but only one. I have friends that run Willwood and Aerospace and they seem to like them well. I went with Strange because I have heard alot of really good things about them and the quality of the parts the use. And they were right, very nice stuff and the one piece rotor design is cool to. But Strange I think is a little more pricy then the others. Either way, you cant go wrong with Aerospace, Willwood, or Strange. And truthfully I see more people running Aerospace and Willwood, then I do Strange brakes.. Just an observation tho. If the budget is not too tight you might look at Mark Williams Brakes, they are suppose to be very good also, but I think the are more money then Willwood and Aerospace. Hope this helps :D

Adam
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

sc racing

#28 Post by sc racing » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:49 pm

I picked Strange because they moved my wheels in 1/4" instead of out 3/4" like the wilwoods they were $650 instead of $495 but I dont have to get new wheels.