Front coil springs

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

ytnova

Front coil springs

#1 Post by ytnova » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 am

I am thinking of ordering a new set of front springs for the car. Currently I have moroso trick springs for a sbc, and they are over 10 years old, but I am thinking of going with a stiffer spring rate hoping that it transfers the weight a little quicker to the rear tires being how I am still having issues getting it to initial on a consitant basis, any thoughts on which one? The car is a 72 nova, bbc, on radials at 3560lbs.

Super73

#2 Post by Super73 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:39 am

Do you know what your front axle weight is? /better yet, if you know your unsprung front weight I think that would be even better.

However, I just put in a 14.5" 350lb Hal in the front of my 63 pick up. It weighs 3840 with me in it and the front axle weighs 2260 with me in it. With these springs, there is about 3" of preload and I am about 1" off the lower bumps. I need to put a 1/2" spacer I think to get it to the ride height I want. These are coil over springs so I have a lower locator and the top has on in the spring perch already.

I pulled some Jeep Cherokee springs over the weekend from pick and pull. Late 80's 6cyl. I had to compress them about 4" just to get them in. It went to the bumps but not by much I think with a 1 1/2" spacer it proably would have been fine. There was a lot of room before coil bind even on the bumps. And I'm thinking of trying that too at some point. Just lifting up on the fenders I could get it to top out from the lower bump.

The jeep guys were telling me to check out V8 Grand Cherokee springs. They have a little more spring rate to them.

Craig W.

Re: Front coil springs

#3 Post by Craig W. » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm

ytnova wrote:I am thinking of ordering a new set of front springs for the car. Currently I have moroso trick springs for a sbc, and they are over 10 years old, but I am thinking of going with a stiffer spring rate hoping that it transfers the weight a little quicker to the rear tires being how I am still having issues getting it to initial on a consitant basis, any thoughts on which one? The car is a 72 nova, bbc, on radials at 3560lbs.
I don't think stiffer springs will help if you're wanting faster weight transfer. You want a soft, tall spring that'll store a lot of energy. That's what the Moroso springs do.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Super73

#4 Post by Super73 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:41 pm

I found that to be totally true. Start with a long light spring and get as much preload in it as possible. Get the spring as close to coil bind as possible at ride height. Obviously leeving a little room on the table for driving. But if you have 1/8" between coils and 12 coils, you have 1 1/2" of spring travel. I'm my case the spring is about center of the control arm so that would equate to roughly 3" of wheel travel.

When the jeep spring was in there, even though it was on the bumps and shock set to 80/20, I could lift up over 6" (had my buddy meassure). I'm thinking of putting them back in with a spacer.

jmarkaudio

#5 Post by jmarkaudio » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:04 am

I think you would do better to look at your rear suspension. What are you running in back?
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

40Coupe

#6 Post by 40Coupe » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:22 pm

Going to a stiffer spring is the WRONG move. Here is what you need:

http://www.smithracecraft.com/67_69_camaro/AZTFS.html

Not that I know anything about Camaro/Nova suspensions but the lighter the spring rate I've tried the higher the wheelie and the quicker it's gone in 60 foot. I'll likely be swapping to a pair of the 200 pounders in my Camaro this winter and it weighs a little over 3500 lb with 58% on the nose. I'm currently running the Moroso 213 lb units.

I've seen few if any N/A combos like mine making 690 HP or so running this quick. Most of it has to do with the way my combo 60 foots.
'67 Camaro
naturally aspirated street/strip 468, 9" tires
3525 lbs

6.13 @ 110.93
9.68 @ 137.80

rustbucket

#7 Post by rustbucket » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:15 pm

I trimed the lower control arm bushings to reduce resistance along with trick springs and 90/10 front shocks. I also cut down the rubber snubbers for more travel. Works well for me.
406sbc, powerglide, nitrous
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DssW5vc_t3k

ytnova

#8 Post by ytnova » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks for the help guys, being how I already have a moroso sbc spring in the car, I will probably just add a rubber spacer or two under the springs and see if that helps, if not, maybe a new set of smallblock springs are in order, the car already sits on the lower bump stops. As far as the rear of the car, its the same as some of the others on here, cal-tracs, sliders, split leaf mono's, etc, just on small radials, not slicks. And you also have to remember where I am tuning at, o-town, not exactly prepped that well during the week. We have been video taping the launches, and it looks as the though the front is very slow coming up, if I can get them, I will post them up. I am also going to pull the front shocks out and see if one of them is damaged. Thanks guys.

csvette3023

#9 Post by csvette3023 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:31 am

"the car already sits on the lower bump stops."

I was told by the best small tire (StockEliminator) chassis guru (in my opinion) that if your suspension is resting on the bump stops that you are not using the stored energy in the spring on the initial hit. Your springs may be to soft to hold the nose up off the stops. Good Luck--Matt
Matt Beumer
70 B/S 402/375 Nova
N.H.R.A./I.H.R.A.

"STICK STOCKERS ARE WAY COOL!"

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Or on another note, maybe find 100lbs to take off the front?

40Coupe

#11 Post by 40Coupe » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:13 pm

csvette3023 wrote:"the car already sits on the lower bump stops."

I was told by the best small tire (StockEliminator) chassis guru (in my opinion) that if your suspension is resting on the bump stops that you are not using the stored energy in the spring on the initial hit. Your springs may be to soft to hold the nose up off the stops. Good Luck--Matt
Matt KNOWS!!
'67 Camaro
naturally aspirated street/strip 468, 9" tires
3525 lbs

6.13 @ 110.93
9.68 @ 137.80

ytnova

#12 Post by ytnova » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:55 pm

A quick update, I measured the ride height with no changes, I then jacked the car up and removed the lower bump stops, put the car back on the ground and it instantly went past where the bump stops were, not good. I settled the car by bouncing up and down a few times and it is over a inch lower than before. Obviously the springs are too week/worn, and it has no where near enogh ground clearence to just leave it, so I either need to remove some weight as john suggest or put in a new pair of springs. I also talked to TRZ, because they are local, and I can have a new pair of upper and lower control arms monday as well. They also said there lowers have a 1" deeper spring pocket so I probably wouldn't even need to trim a new set of springs. Guess I will be breaking out the visa, gotta race next weekend!

jmarkaudio

#13 Post by jmarkaudio » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:31 pm

Springs are probably worn out. If it sits that low, it will have to work harder to transfer weight. How fast is you car, engine, trans and rear gears? Be carefull getting a spring thats too light or short with the BBC. And I know all too well how bad Wednesdays and Fridays are at Slippery Rock. Saturdays are not much better. I run a small block dragster out there.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Super73

#14 Post by Super73 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:59 am

Just a note for you about the change in my truck. I went from a stiff 11" lowering spring to the 350lb 14.5" spring mentioned above. Only other change was moving the batterey to the rear of the truck.

On the street my 60's were between 2.3x and 2.4x Just spining the tires bad. With the changes I made 3 quick passes tonight in 35* weather and every one was 2.0x

This is with a G-tech pro RR and before I get flamed for it, I took it with me to the track. 60's were dead nuts, 1/4 ET read .1 slower than what I really went and the Mph read 1mph slower than what I really went. Not on 1 pass, on all 11 passes that I made both Friday and Sat at the track, so I feel ok mentioning the numbers it tells me.

I am about 3/4" off the lower bumps.

I can't wait to try out the 17" long Jeep Cherokee springs I pulled at pick and pull with a spacer. With those in it it goes to the bumps. But I think with a 1-2" spacer I can get it off the bumps.

oneowner73

Re: Front coil springs

#15 Post by oneowner73 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Need to figure out a starting point for a new set of front springs. Car only weighs 1295 lbs on the front with out driver. I weigh about 210 lbs. Now have 68 Camaro 6 cyl. springs in the car with 2 1/2 coils cut off. The front end is fairly stiff but the car is 4-link with a good setup so the launch isn't too bad with a best of 1.365 short time. The car is an aluminum headed small block set back 9". Driver moved back and aluminum firewall and floor. Also glass front end, bumpers and trunk lid with lexan windows and chromemoly cage. Has anyone run a car this light with a stock front clip. Well there is 38" of this clip left. Will try to contact Smith Racecraft about their front coils. Car is a 1973 Nova SS that has only had one owner.
Brian