is it possible.

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

krazyhorse1

is it possible.

#1 Post by krazyhorse1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:31 pm

alright here is the question. I have a 68' mustang with the factory front strut suspension w/ the strut towers that get in the way. the car has a 10 point roll cage in it i was wondering if i upgraded to a 12 point gage with the bars in the engine compartment if i could some how do away with the strut towers and attach the struts to the bars like a strut front race car. i know it is mostly chevy guys here as am i since the car has a 468 big block chevy in it. the reason for this possible change is there is only about 1.5 to 2 inches between the heads and the towers. i know that there are companies that make kits to convert to coil over suspension but i just dont want to it runs so good now and if prostock uses strut it must be the way.

mytmouz

Re: is it possible.

#2 Post by mytmouz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Not sure on the 'stang, but I've seen box novas like that...
Trucks are for haulin...

David Lemmond

#3 Post by David Lemmond » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 pm

This is my Chevy II and basically they are the same as the Mustang. It's kind of hard to tell in this pic but all I did was cut away all the shock tower that was above the upper a-arm mounting holes. I did my snout bar different than most, but you could run yours over the upper a-arm and have a placed to mount the top of the coil over too.

David Lemmond's Race Shop
Somerville, Al.
256-778-8888
Specializing in 10.5 tire cars chassis, suspension, and components.
67-69 Camaro, 68-74 Nova Tubular A-arms.
62-67 Chevy II tubular A-arms.

krazyhorse1

#4 Post by krazyhorse1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:43 am

does the shock tower support the weight of the front of the vehicle. my springs go down from the top of the tower to the upper control. thanks for the pic david if you have a few more from the side it would be great to see them.

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:17 pm

The old Nova's were the same as the Mustang with the spring on top of the upper arm. To cut the shock tower out you need to go with a coilover.

krazyhorse1

#6 Post by krazyhorse1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:22 pm

well then should i just attach to the upper a arm and to the cage. my other question is my car weighs about 2900 pounds. what spring rate should i go with. and about how much travel should i have. it has a bbc w/ aluminum heads.

sc racing

#7 Post by sc racing » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:23 pm

krazyhorse1 wrote:well then should i just attach to the upper a arm and to the cage. my other question is my car weighs about 2900 pounds. what spring rate should i go with. and about how much travel should i have. it has a bbc w/ aluminum heads.
I would think you need to attach it to a new lower control arm and a mount on the frame, but there are kits out there to put a coilover on the upper arm you would just have to fab your own upper mount off your cage . Chris Alston make a kit.You cant choose the correct spring rate unless you know the front weight of your car minus the unsprung weight.

krazyhorse1

#8 Post by krazyhorse1 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 pm

what would count as unsprung weight on the front.

sc racing

#9 Post by sc racing » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:12 pm

krazyhorse1 wrote:what would count as unsprung weight on the front.
Your wheel & tire,spindle,brakes,drag link and tie rods,1/2 the weight of your spring and shock.

krazyhorse1

#10 Post by krazyhorse1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:31 pm

thanks for the info sc. once i know that how do i find the one i need.
owe and i looked on chris alstons site and they have just what i need. it comes with a plate to go in the stock mount that i could box and attach to the roll bar in the front thanks for the help sc it is greatly appreciated if it wasnt for guys like you i wouldnt havea clue.