57 chevy drop spindles

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

nothingfancy

57 chevy drop spindles

#1 Post by nothingfancy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:12 pm

:scratch: I am working on re-building my old drag car and would like to know if anybody has any info or thoughts on installing drop spindles on the front of my 57 chev. I would like to lower the ride height without spending a bunch of money or cutting up the frame. The spindles that I have seen for sale are all cast instead of forged. Are they prone to breakage under stressfull conditions? At the same time I thought that the addition of disk brakes would be a great idea. The car was (25 yrs ago) a low 12 sec car and I am aiming for 10.90's by replacing the 350 with a 434 and other mods. Any comments will greatly be appreciated.

Dave Morgan

Re: 57 chevy drop spindles

#2 Post by Dave Morgan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 pm

Greetings,
Dropped spindles are a great idea. You'll avoid a bunch of bumpsteer issues. I'd check into the dropped spindles available in the oval market. I'm sure there are some street rod companies that sell them as well, but I've seen them mostly in the oval magazines. In fact, I think AFCO has dropped spindles. The GM spindles are very plentiful in oval racing and I'm sure you can find what you want. That being said, there may be some issues regarding compatibility with your stock A-arms, so you may have to swap them also. Just be careful when choosing years of applications. I think GM went metric in 1981 or 1982, so a later A-arm/spindle combination won't fit your car. You'll probably find tons of late-70 Chevelle/Malibu components that will fit, however.
I hope this helps.
Stay Tuned,
Dave Morgan
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos

nothingfancy

#3 Post by nothingfancy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Thanks for the info, I will look into the oval supplyers. I'm still concerned about the cast iron issue, maybe I shouldn't be?

nothingfancy

#4 Post by nothingfancy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Dave, where can I find your book and info on your vidios and seminars? Thanks again.
Michael

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:24 am

Heidts drop spindles are steel. Working on a 57 nomad at the shop now and it has them on it. Your new brake kit will just have to be for those spindles. I know stock type GM or Wilwood are available.

nothingfancy

#6 Post by nothingfancy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:52 am

:thumb: I found a kit on Ebay that has the forged spindles and brake kit. Will be ordering soon.