lowering front leaf spring mounting bracket ??

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

twodoggs

lowering front leaf spring mounting bracket ??

#1 Post by twodoggs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:10 pm

can anyone tell me how that effects how your leaf spring susp. works? advatages,disadvatages ? seems to me i either read or heard at one time or another that a lot of chrysler (shudder) racers used to do this for some reason or another,would be interested in hearing some theory or thoughts on this. come on guys jump in on this you all ain,t doing nothing tonite anyhow. thanks Gregg

nothingfancy

Re: lowering front leaf spring mounting bracket ??

#2 Post by nothingfancy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm not totally sure but I would bet that it had something to do with getting the pinion snubber to work correctly.

sc racing

#3 Post by sc racing » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:45 am

I think it moves your instant center forward. I thought I read here about raising the front up to move trhe I/C back.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:44 am

When you say lowering the front leaf spring bracket are you talking about moving the spring away from the body or towards the body? Yes it does make a difference, moving the spring towards the body as long as the ride height is the same or lower reduces the hit on the tire, raising it increases it, also raising the rear ride height increases the hit/anti-squat. Lowering blocks also seen to decrease the hit also as they lower the car as well.

twodoggs

#5 Post by twodoggs » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:22 pm

thank you guys! seems like we read a lot about ladder bars and 4 links but rarely do you hear or read anything about leaf spring susp. and setups or ideas anymore,I realize with the tech. available today there are prob. better ways to go but if your over 40 it certainly puts a lump in your throat to see someone make a really good pass with that old tech,old equitment or as many say old school type stuff. :D :D :D