need some help with front shocks

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

chpcamaro

need some help with front shocks

#1 Post by chpcamaro » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:01 am

help
ok here's the deal i have the qa1 front coil over shocks so i decided to put them in well now my car sits way up in the air and i have the coils ajusted all the way down so that tells me my car is to light for the bbc springs but now here's my question do i buy new springs for them or just go with the santhuff coil springs i'm at a loss right now i have been using the trick springs with great results but i figured i would try something new but you know the old saying if it works don't mess with it but then again if you don't how do you know there's not something better so lets here's your input.
thank you
rob :mrgreen:

oh yea and my qa1's are the single adjustable one's
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: need some help with front shocks

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:10 am

I don't think the spring choice is near as important as the shock choice, there isn't a huge weight difference but the coil over style will be slightly lighter. A high quality double adjustable shock would be the 1st thing on the list regardless, and in my book that means either Afco's or Santhuffs or Strange. You won't need a ton of travel with that engine, so just get a spring that works with the weight of the car.

Do you have any rules regarding what you can do on the shocks? If not switch it over to a regular coil over (std non-tapered spring), then sometime down the road you can use the lighter weight tubular lowers too.

chpcamaro

#3 Post by chpcamaro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:31 am

hey john
nope no rules on what i have for suspension yea i am looking at the double adjustable shocks but i might at this point get the car to a scale or borrow some scales and weigh it and get some springs from santhuff for right now just to get the car back at the track my class starts running in 2 weeks but i don't think i will be ready.
but i wasn't thinking about the new arms but i think that might be a good idea to start looking in to tho
thank you john gives me some idea's
rob :mrgreen:
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

Dave Morgan

#4 Post by Dave Morgan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 pm

If you're looking for quality springs, go with HyperCo. They are distributed by Strange Engineering and are the best springs in all of motorsports. F-1 and Champ car guys use them and they have a life-time warranty not to lose free height or lose spring rate.
I hope this helps,
Dave
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos

bigblue466

#5 Post by bigblue466 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 pm

What rate are the springs? I would find out what the springs are rated for and go from there. HyperCoil are the ones I use and have about 4 sets of diff. rates. I check them and they are always the rate they where when they where new and I know the 150lb ones have over 2000 passes and I just checked them this weekend. Good stuff :thumb: Something must have been in a bind if you used the same springs. :idea:
"Overtired & Cornpowered"