lader bars setup

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

mopar540

lader bars setup

#1 Post by mopar540 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:34 pm

hy to every one in the forum i was searchingfor info on the web and i spend the last day learning from your post and im glad to be part of these forum ,im from Peru -South America and we dont have the best track off the world we are running on a air field.

i have a 65 plymouth satelite with a 540ci engine,indy 440-1fully ported,1090 king demon on top .686/.686 solid roller cam with 12.5 comprescion,allthe fron suspencion its tubular from magnum force with QA1 doubble adjustable shocks, im running a 727 with brake 5500rpm dynamic 8" converter and in the back i have the 45" ladder bars with coil overs (not adjustable) with 31x10.5w slicks the best i can run with these setup was 9.89et

but my car feels loke hooks the first 3-6 feet and then start to spin the tires like a maniac i was thinking maybe my front coil over QA1 double adjustabel are to stiff for my ride or maybe imrunning to high on the ladder bars setup i

this is a video from the last 1/8 mile race i hope that help to the experts to give me some idea where i am onmy setup, i will apreciate your help with ammateur questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgy8Hi--_M8

thanks

stroker1

Re: lader bars setup

#2 Post by stroker1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:42 am

Looks like you have hardly no travel in the front suspension. If they are double adjustable, you need to loosen the extension of the shock. And at the same time, set or maintain the stiff compression of the shock.

Also might not be hitting the tires hard enough with the ladder bars. What is the distance from the camshaft centerline to the front eye of the ladderbars? Measure from floor up to the camshaft. Then measure floor up to the center of the ladder bar front eye. The difference between these 2 numbers may be too far appart and not hitting the tires enough.
'87 S10 stock suspension, Caltracs, 9" rearend, 1.82 Glide, 383 SBC,
Brodix Track1 Heads, 14:1 compression, 180 shot plate,
2" tube Hussler Headers, 1.38 60ft., 6.20 ET 1/8th, 109 MPH,
Still Tuning, more to come.

race9899

#3 Post by race9899 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 am

The car is way to stiff, You need to get the front end Way softer and get some travel will be a good start

When you say the rear is non adjustable.. is that the shocks or the ladder bars or both?

I would suggest getting some better video with a close up on the rear tire.

mopar540

#4 Post by mopar540 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:03 am

that the first thing i saw that the front end was to hard , im going to check the messure you ask and post later maybe thats one off the problerms

and as you see i dont launch the cars with the brake at high rpms beacuase off the risk off spinthe tires hardly i have the launchmodule at 3400rpms

i mean the rear shocks are not adjustable i have the 2 way rgulated lafdder bars but my rear shock there are not adjustable

maybe this videos help a little more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ6RzIbW07I

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WYv5g6 ... re=related

and how can i set or messure the suspencion travel off my front susspencion ?

race9899

#5 Post by race9899 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:08 am

Measure the height of the wheel opening with the car setting with the driver in place..

Jack up the front end and see how far it moves until the tire starts to lift off of the ground..

On a car like yours 5"-7" of travel would be what you would want...

Also it needs to be to where the front end is very loose, with out the spring in place or torsion bar hooked up and the shock removed you should be able to easily by hand move the front suspension through all of its travel..

You want Light springs or torsion bars that store alot of energy (6 cylinder parts) and loose extension shocks, also no front sway bars..

mopar540

#6 Post by mopar540 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:21 am

im running on full tubular k member an control armas with QA1 double adjustable shocks on the front and the springs are 450# lbs in the front, the thingis when i do the same thing you said the tires DONT EVEN MOVE A LITTLE goes up at the same time i rise the car? i dont think thast correct?

i just messure my camshaft ceterline is 20" to the ground
and the ladder bar high from the center off the eye its on drivers side 6" and in the other side 6.5"

i was thinking maybe the distance its to short and to change the front shocks for QA1 single adjustables and bought a set off strange rear coilovers for the back my rear aprings are 125# on the back you think i can go a few numbers up ? ill be posting fotos off my suspencion later maybe that help

thanks

race9899

#7 Post by race9899 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:59 am

You need to look at what it is going to take to get some front end travel,

The 450 pound springs may have the shocks topped out, the upper shock mounts may have to be lowered and lighter spring put in plac..

mopar540

#8 Post by mopar540 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:21 pm

The 450 pound springs may have the shocks topped out, the upper shock mounts may have to be lowered and lighter spring put in plac..

i attach 3 pics how my suspencion its now those fotos are with the car on the floor on the slicks

i think when you say the shock mount lowered means i have to changede or can i put a long shock in place off mine?

thanks
Attachments
plymouth satelite ladder bars 4.JPG
plymouth satelite ladder bars 2.JPG
plymouth satelite ladder bars1.JPG

want-a-be

#9 Post by want-a-be » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm

I think you should be running no more then 350 pound springs on the front end maybe even less. How much does this car weigh? 450 is too much. How much spring pressure are you running on the rear end?

During this video,...did you notice how the green mopar next to you has pretty good seperation in the rear of the car,...that car looks like it's working pretty good in the rear. But it still needs work on the front also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ6RzIbW07I

I'll watch the other clip and re-edit this post again with my opinion of it.

Don
Last edited by want-a-be on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stroker1

#10 Post by stroker1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Without weighing the car and finding the center of gravity I would say your ladder bars are in the ballpark of being correct. But if the floor pan clearance will allow, I would maybe go up 1 hole on the front to hit the tires harder. Then you proably can leave at a higher RPM. But most important, you must gain more front end travel. If you dont get the proper travel for weight transfer, all the rest does not matter.
'87 S10 stock suspension, Caltracs, 9" rearend, 1.82 Glide, 383 SBC,
Brodix Track1 Heads, 14:1 compression, 180 shot plate,
2" tube Hussler Headers, 1.38 60ft., 6.20 ET 1/8th, 109 MPH,
Still Tuning, more to come.

want-a-be

#11 Post by want-a-be » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:01 pm

stroker1 wrote:Without weighing the car and finding the center of gravity I would say your ladder bars are in the ballpark of being correct. But if the floor pan clearance will allow, I would maybe go up 1 hole on the front to hit the tires harder. Then you proably can leave at a higher RPM. But most important, you must gain more front end travel. If you dont get the proper travel for weight transfer, all the rest does not matter.
I totally agree. Rear suspension needs to seperate more also. Raising it 1 hole might help this.

Don

mopar540

#12 Post by mopar540 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 pm

thanks for the replays, im running on the back 125# springs on the back suspencion .

i only have 3 positions in my ladder bars, do you think i can bought the chassis engineering plates that have 5 positions?

my car weights 2901 lbs with driver but i cant weight each corner because no one have these balance over here to weight each corner off the car

im going to start with the front end before changing anything in the back and move the ladder bars one step foward and the pinion angel have to be in 2-0 degrees ?

thanks
Attachments
i have mi ladder bars in the middle off the 3 positions so i have to put it in the 1 one or the upper possition
i have mi ladder bars in the middle off the 3 positions so i have to put it in the 1 one or the upper possition

want-a-be

#13 Post by want-a-be » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:33 pm

After looking at that last picture,...I'd say yes to the raising the front of the ladder bars to the highest hole you can get it into. Looks like you have the room.

125 pound springs ought to be ok for the rear at that weight. But the rear shocks are going to need to be rethought. Did you get new shocks for the rear?

Don

want-a-be

#14 Post by want-a-be » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WYv5g6 ... re=related

during this run your car was really porpoising really bad. A pretty good sign that the springs out of ballance.

Again,...did you notice that the car next to you have pretty good seperation on the rearend of the car. True,...it's front didn't lift much but it did look like the direction you need to be working to get. If you get along with thise guys and they would allow it,...you ought to be asking what they are going.

Good luck and keep us informed with how things progress with your operation.

Don

mopar540

#15 Post by mopar540 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:40 pm

i really appreciate yor help im more than thank full with you guys im start working as soon as i can tomorrow morning i have a race next september 6 so that my limit time

and i was thinking to put on the rear a set off afco shocks soingle adjustable or maybe a compettion engineering , wich one do you think its the best of them

thaks