Rear shocks

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Hitchcock

Rear shocks

#1 Post by Hitchcock » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 pm

What are some good drag race application coil over rear shock out there. I need something that is gonna perform well and not cost a testicle. I looked at some QA1 Alumamatic for around 450-500 and they sound like a good piece. Competition Engineering has a set without springs for 250-300. Also how is spring rate determined? Someone told me to have my car scaled at all four corners.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

ytnova

Re: Rear shocks

#2 Post by ytnova » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 am

Spend your money once, Afco or Santhuff, you will be upgrading to one or the other if you end up buying something else.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

want-a-be

#3 Post by want-a-be » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:30 pm

ytnova wrote:Spend your money once, Afco or Santhuff, you will be upgrading to one or the other if you end up buying something else.
Ditto

Hitchcock

#4 Post by Hitchcock » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Okay looking at Afco's website and these shockshttp://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/ ... _Code=dr_S
Would those be sufficent. This is only supposed to be a bottom ten car. No nitrous or blower. Are the prices on these two brands listed as pairs or as individuals. I never thought the shocks I need would be 5 and 6 hundred each
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:38 am

Call Ron G. at Santhuff and ask him about used shocks. They occasionally have some steel bodied trade ins that they rebuild and make like new. Those shocks unlike QA1's or Afcos, should last you forever.

Mike Peters

#6 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:25 am

Call Eric Saffell at Afco 1-800-632-2320 ext 202 or e-mail him at esaffell@afcoracing.com

He'll send you in the right direction if Afco is your choice. Tell him I sent you.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Mike Peters

#7 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:27 am

John_Heard wrote: unlike QA1's or Afcos, should last you forever.
unlike Afco's? Tell me more......

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:37 am

Tire shake tends to kill the seals on the Afco's, just one of the reasons you seldom see them on a pro mod.

Of course that's not an issue on a 10 second car, or most cars for that matter. Just making a point that they are a heavier duty shock. Nothing wrong with Afco's for most applications.

Mike Peters

#9 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:44 am

John_Heard wrote:Of course that's not an issue on a 10 second car, or most cars for that matter.
....no Pro Mod here.... 8-)
John Heard wrote:making a point that they are a heavier duty shock.
Well, you got the "heavier" part right!!! J/K :lol: Santhuffs are great shocks. So are Lords, Koni electrics, and Penskes.

425 Olds

#10 Post by 425 Olds » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:47 am

So can I ask what is wrong with Stranges? I have them on the rear of my 3300 lb Cutlass running high 9s. Ladder bars and the shocks respond the way we like when they are adjusted. They seem good for my application.

ky mustang

#11 Post by ky mustang » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:53 pm

There is nothing wrong with strange shocks I use them myself very good piece for the price.

FARRIGNO

#12 Post by FARRIGNO » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:33 pm

if you see yourself staying in the low tens,no need to drop a testicle on rear shocks!,just by some qa-1 or strange,single adjustable shocks and be done with it!
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

Hitchcock

#13 Post by Hitchcock » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:06 pm

FARRIGNO wrote:if you see yourself staying in the low tens,no need to drop a testicle on rear shocks!,just by some qa-1 or strange,single adjustable shocks and be done with it!

Well, a few years down the line I'm gonna get a big motor and I wold like to run low to mid 9's on motor only. But with what I have in it now I'm aming for low tens. I dont think I will ever build a power adder car, as much as I would like to. So, trying to decide if I just bte the bullet now, or upgrade in four or five years.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

FARRIGNO

#14 Post by FARRIGNO » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 pm

Hitchcock wrote:
FARRIGNO wrote:if you see yourself staying in the low tens,no need to drop a testicle on rear shocks!,just by some qa-1 or strange,single adjustable shocks and be done with it!

Well, a few years down the line I'm gonna get a big motor and I wold like to run low to mid 9's on motor only. But with what I have in it now I'm aming for low tens. I dont think I will ever build a power adder car, as much as I would like to. So, trying to decide if I just bte the bullet now, or upgrade in four or five years.
i will let you in on a little secret,i have a fairly big motor [565] and i have been high 8,s and low 9,s and i run a qa-1 single adjustabil shock,with a ladder bar car,maybe not the best style of shock to run but untill someone tells me you WILL pick up xxx in your 60-foot with double adjustable shocks i will not spend the $$$ on them. maybe if i can borrow a pair from a friend i will try them?
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

Hitchcock

#15 Post by Hitchcock » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:41 pm

FARRIGNO wrote:
Hitchcock wrote:

i will let you in on a little secret,i have a fairly big motor [565] and i have been high 8,s and low 9,s and i run a qa-1 single adjustabil shock,with a ladder bar car,maybe not the best style of shock to run but untill someone tells me you WILL pick up xxx in your 60-foot with double adjustable shocks i will not spend the $$$ on them. maybe if i can borrow a pair from a friend i will try them?

That being said, here is what should happen. I will Get some Comp. engineering, Q A 1's, Strange. Something that caliber. Run them and get them all dialed in with my 496. Then in a year or two, bring me your 565 to "try out" for a week or two. And if I cant make my budget shocks work, I will know if I need to upgrade. It's the only way to be sure. I thank you for your cooperation in this matter. :thumb:
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter