Frame flexing?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Gus68

Frame flexing?

#1 Post by Gus68 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey guys!!!! Been a long time since I'e posted (crazy year!). Anyway I went racin this summer and ran pretty good for me! But there is always room for improvement right!!! Anyway I crawled under the back of my car (68 chevelle) just to check things out. I noticed that the brackets on the frame where the front bushings of the lower controlarms mount, looled like they were hitting the underside of the floor. The floor is about 1/2 in. above the frame mounts. I could see a shiny imprint of the mounts on the bottom of the floor???!!! Could the mounts on the frame be pushing up? or could the body be flexing. Is this a bad thing???? My car just has the originall rubber body mounts and no roll bar. I am thinking of putting different rear end gears in this winter, and taking the whole axle out. While that is out maybe do some welding and reinforcing to the control arm mounts. Has anyone done this before??? any tips on where to brace and what you did???? Thanks guys!!!

Bruce69Camaro

Re: Frame flexing?

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:22 am

I'm not a chevelle person and the only thing I know about them is how to spell chevelle, but what about either adding solid or polyurethane body bushings to try and control the flexing?

Would that help?

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Yellowchevelle

#3 Post by Yellowchevelle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:38 pm

I would make or find some one who sells a kit to brace the frame mount before something breaks. An anti roll bar would be an excelent investment also. I found hr parts & stuff make a frame brace kit for g bodys and i think they make one for a bodys as well. does your car have the brace that runs from the upper arm mount to the lower arm mount?

Gus68

#4 Post by Gus68 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks for the responses!!!! Yes I have the braces that go from the lower control arm mount to the upper control arm mount. I was thinking of adding solid or poly body mounts but I have had the car painted a few years ago and I am afraid that if I start messing with the mounts that the doors and fenders and bodylines won't line up! Is this true??? Thanks again!!!

Yellowchevelle

#5 Post by Yellowchevelle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Here is a good article on changing the body bushings, and yes mine did move around when I changed them. http://www.chevelles.com/techref/body_bushings.pdf

Hope this helps
Matt

Gus68

#6 Post by Gus68 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 pm

OK, so here is a few of my stupid ideas, let me know what you think. What if I add the solid or poly body mounts and measure the space between the frame and the body and trim the new bushings to the same thickness so nothing changes?? Or, what if I make some brackets out of some thick metal and weld them to the frame and the body? (kinda cheesy) Or, is all of this screwin around worth it?? Will I notice any real gain???