To cut or not to cut....

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Bruce69Camaro

To cut or not to cut....

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:16 am

To cut or not to cut, that is my question to you?

As I posted before, I want to drop the front end of my car down 2".

I have been advised to cut them with a cutoff tool or an angle grinder but
what I have been always told not to do is use a cutting torch because this
would weaken the spring.

Just recently I was advised to heat the springs up and drop it to the height I
want, instead of cutting off a link or two. They said this is the best way and
cutting them, actually hurts the spring.

Well if you buy Moroso trick springs, doesn't it mention that cutting may be needed?
If this is true, why doesn't Moroso make comment about heating the springs?

Any advice on what to do? cut or heat?

thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

hugger73hatch

Re: To cut or not to cut....

#2 Post by hugger73hatch » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:50 pm

I have Moroso Trick Springs and I cut them with a cutoff wheel. I cut 2 coils off mine. The only problem I have, which is my fault, is the driver side sits a little lower than the passenger side. It has to do with the way I cut mine though, I think. Word of advice, only cut 1/4 coil at a time....this is where I think I messed up.
73 Nova Hatchback, 408 Small Block 13-1, Iron Heads, 6.972 @ 98.362, 1.468 60', 3450 lbs, still tuning
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

http://www.esquireservices.net

supernova

#3 Post by supernova » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 pm

I wouldn't do anything to the springs. When you cut the springs that will make the spring stiffer and may not allow the front end to work as it should. Less active coils makes springs stiffer! Heat is not the way to go eather as that will damage the spring and can cause the spring to fail.

I would do one of two things here. First get to car together and weigh it to find what weight spring it needs. Then choose a spring that will fit at a lower weight range to allow it to sit lower. Thats what I did. Or leave the springs you have and put 2" drop spindles on it.

I used a moroso spring for a sb but I have a bb so it sit lower. The moroso spring is long and will still help in the transfer of weight at the lounch.

Just my 2 cents on how i did mine.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

hugger73hatch

#4 Post by hugger73hatch » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Not to be argumentative here, but moroso recommends cutting the coils, if I am not mistaken. I am noy sure if that is what he has though. Craig W. I am sure will vouch for that as he has one of the baddest small block, small tire novas around, and I am pretty sure he has had this discussion before.
73 Nova Hatchback, 408 Small Block 13-1, Iron Heads, 6.972 @ 98.362, 1.468 60', 3450 lbs, still tuning
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

http://www.esquireservices.net

supernova

#5 Post by supernova » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:54 pm

I talked to moroso and what they said is only cut 1 coil not 2.... 2 coils will change the spring rate so why not just get a little weaker spring to allow it to settle lower and keep the length of the spring so it can do it's job as ment to. I've had cut springs that would not push the front end up enough to help in transferring weight.

The longer spring under more preload as being a little weaker spring will push up on the front harder then a shorter firmer spring will. It's better to error on the lite side of spring rates then to have the springs too stiff. Then control it with a good shock.
I put 3 set of springs on my car to find the rite ride hight for the weight. I had 2 bb spring sets and ended up with a heavy sb set under the front. The right ride hight for the right weight with out cut anything. Sold the other 2 sets for what I had in them.

But hey, it is just my opinion!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by supernova on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

TubbedTruck67

#6 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Do not heat with a torch to desired level. That will ruin the spring. If youve ever taken a spring out thats been heated its not a spring its just a big worthless crooked melted thing. I run coilovers on the front of my car but Ive always heard the moroso springs usually need trimed to get the ride height you want. You can do that with a cut off wheel no problem with out hurting the spring.

Craig W.

#7 Post by Craig W. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:27 pm

hugger73hatch wrote:Not to be argumentative here, but moroso recommends cutting the coils, if I am not mistaken. I am noy sure if that is what he has though. Craig W. I am sure will vouch for that as he has one of the baddest small block, small tire novas around, and I am pretty sure he has had this discussion before.
Thanks man, that brought a smile to my face. You're too kind.

My car has the lightest Moroso springs they make on the front. After taking weight out of the car, it was insanely high in the front and wasn't working too well. I cut two coils off and WOW, what a difference. All of a sudden the car was hooking consistently, the 60' times dropped a bunch and it picked up 4 mph in the 1/4 mile.

It was sitting on the bump stops, so I cut them in half and have about 1/2" to 1" of downward travel and a ton of upward travel.

Don't use a torch. Use a cutoff wheel or a sawzall.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Bruce69Camaro

#8 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:01 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I hope this doesn't open up another can of worms, but the advice I was given was, being on a budget, until I can afford a QA1 front coil spring setup, use stock style springs and if needed cut them down for the desired ride height.

I'm using a stock type spring, made by Moog, for a 6 cylinder car. I was hoping because of the big block that it would drop it more, but after plenty of time for the springs to settle, the height is still a little too high.

Ok, we learned not to heat them and if I do need to cut them use a cutoff wheel or sawzall. Next question is, is there a better way to remove the springs, safely without using that pain in the neck spring compressor?

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Craig W.

#9 Post by Craig W. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:19 am

Even though 6-cyl springs are lower rated, they still aren't as tall and soft as a Moroso and won't store as much energy. So front end rise isn't going to be nearly as good.

Also, with the lack of spring rate choices that QA1 offers on their GM coil-over conversion, I don't know that I'd go that route. I think you'll be better off with the Moroso springs and some good externally adjustable shocks.

I've got a guide to coil spring swaps on my website. www.2quicknovas.com and then follow the link on the left to the tech articles. You'll find the coil spring swap guide there. Its not a bad job at all.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Bruce69Camaro

#10 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks Craig....nice site

Bruce

Craig W.

#11 Post by Craig W. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks. The site has been a lot of fun over the years. Wish I had more time for it.

I need to come up with more ideas on some basic tech articles to help out newcomers to hot rodding and racing.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

BracketNova

#12 Post by BracketNova » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Bruce...my nova has 6 cyl springs in it (cuuuuz' it used to have a 6 cyl in it), with my bbc my snubbers are 3/4" from hitting. I am not saying these springs are the way to go...just an fyi. If I had to cast my vote, it would be with Craig.

Also, if you go with a 26" tire instead of a 28", you'll drop an inch ;)

Greg
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

chpcamaro

#13 Post by chpcamaro » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:38 pm

i also had to cut my moroso front springs 2 coils(and they were lightest they have) and it did make a big difference for me to i think it depends on your car setup as in weight mine is very light in the front. i did switch to the qa1 ciol overs now and they really helped out even more but there spring rate choices suck and what they recommend weren't right for me i had to go lighter so now i have all there springs from 450 to 250 lol any one need springs lol
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com