Moroso tricks springs/ 69 Camaro

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Bruce69Camaro

Moroso tricks springs/ 69 Camaro

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:14 am

I was advised this weekend to yank out my front coil springs and install the Moroso trick springs.
I got a cast head, big block chevy.

Can someone reccommend a good weight to start off with? I don't have access to a scale.

It has no inner fenders, fiberglass hood, battery in the trunk, alum radiator, if that helps.

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

ytnova

Re: Moroso tricks springs/ 69 Camaro

#2 Post by ytnova » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 am

Moroso work fine, I used small block springs in mine, bbc, glass hood, no inner fenders, etc. but they do not last long, they will start to sag within a year or so. The general thought here would be to look at hyperco or even santhuff. You can get a spring that will perform the same or better and last a whole lot longer. They usually garantee them to maintain the free height for x number of years, about the same price, but a better investment. I will be going this route as soon as mine are done.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks, I'll check into them.

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Yellowchevelle

#4 Post by Yellowchevelle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:08 am

Mike Peters

#5 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Hey Bruce ol' buddy, you know me in that I'm gonna throw my thoughts out there on this one. The Trick Springs are nice for the cars that need a lot of stored energy to pitch the car up during launch. This aids them in the traction due to the weight transfer. However, you've got some pretty big hunks of rubber in the back of your Camaro and may not need this weight transfer for the car to work well. Look at the difference between the NHRA small tired Stockers and the big tired Pro Stock class. P/S hardly has any front suspension travel. Excessive travel is wasted energy if not needed. So, I guess what I'm suggesting is don't move forward with buying new springs on a preconceived notion or suggestion. Springs can always be changed so you might want to wait until you get the car ready for the track before making your final decision.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:19 pm

So for now, your saying keep the stock springs in?

They are going to need to be cut a link or so, so won't that make things stiffer?

Bruce

Mike Peters

#7 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:So for now, your saying keep the stock springs in?

They are going to need to be cut a link or so, so won't that make things stiffer?

Bruce
Yes, cutting springs increases their rate so they would be stiffer. I just think you'd be better off waiting until the car is ready to run before buying what you think you need at this particular moment. If you think the current springs have a chance of being right, I wouldn't cut them until they've had a chance to take a set, settle, relax, or whatever you want to call it.

I'm going to need a new rate of springs on my front end. That carbon fiber radiator lightened things up quite a bit. :thumb:

sunsation540

#8 Post by sunsation540 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 pm

for what it's worth i agree with mike on this deal,, big tire cars need less stored energy and long soft springs can make to much bite.. and the gain of a typical 250 lb spring with one coil off is about 25 lbs per inch not a big deal.. try once buy once,
make a plan and stick to it !!

Bruce69Camaro

#9 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:12 am

Ok, got it.

Keep the springs in and go racing and have fun, right?

But how will I know that they need to be changed, bad 60 ft times?

The guy that told me to run stock springs suggested also to buy "cheap" shocks, like from Autozone or Advance.

Do you agree with that call or should I try a race shock like from Comp Engineering?

Thanks for your help guys, this saves me some time and money....

Hey Mike, what you going to do when Pam buys you that super-lite weight battery? Better hold of on spring changes.. :smt005

Oh that's right, she is going to buy me the drive shaft instead.. :thumb:

Mike Peters

#10 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:08 am

sunsation540 wrote:for what it's worth i agree with mike on this deal
Woo-Hoo!!! Since I'm not too smart, this doesn't happen very often. Pardon me while I savor this moment. :lol:

Bruce69Camaro

#11 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:14 am

Why Mike, your the smartest guy I know.... :smt101 :smt101

Bruce

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:But how will I know that they need to be changed, bad 60 ft times?
When you've exhausted every other strategy in getting the car to hook and it still doesn't want to transfer weight, that's when you change components. Don't rely on the assumption that different parts will always be the answer.
Bruce69Camaro wrote: The guy that told me to run stock springs suggested also to buy "cheap" shocks, like from Autozone or Advance.

Do you agree with that call or should I try a race shock like from Comp Engineering?
Having made my last statement to not assume parts will be the answer, I'm going to look like a hypocrite when I say good shocks are extremely important. You need something that will allow you to tune. Cheap shocks will only control extension and compression rates without any adjustability. I'm not saying they won't work because you may be able to get lucky and the shocks be what you need but, if they aren't then, you've really got no options with them but to change them. Now, since you mentioned the C/E
brand, I'm probably going to step on some toes here when I say I wouldn't waste the money. At least save up and buy some Koni's if you're sticking to a shock that bolts on. Their adjustments will actually make a difference.
Bruce69Camaro wrote:
Hey Mike, what you going to do when Pam buys you that super-lite weight battery? Better hold of on spring changes.. :smt005
Lithium battery? Heck, I'm lucky to get fed lately..... shtf:

Mike Peters

#13 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:24 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Why Mike, your the smartest guy I know.... :smt101 :smt101

Bruce
You need to get out more or I need to move to Pennsylvania. Sounds I could be Governor there..... :smt029

Bruce69Camaro

#14 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 am

I hate to say it but Ed could do a better job then Gov. Rendell....

Hey if you decide to run for President, I'll vote for you, maybe even twice :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for your help Mike, I appreciate it and to all the other replies.

Bruce

BracketNova

#15 Post by BracketNova » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:25 am

I'm going to agree with Mike here. My bbc cast head nova is sitting on 6cyl springs ('cuz it was a 6 cyl car) and really doesn't have a problem hooking on 5 or 6 year old 12" slicks leaving off a tranny brake. I run the cheap 3-way comp. engineering shocks.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs