9.99 Cert

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

HPDRIFTER

Re: 9.99 Cert

#16 Post by HPDRIFTER » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:09 pm

My car went to the chassis shop today for a full 12 pt.cage (currently an 8pt roll bar) and a "funny car cage". Just to be sure,
I asked him to replace the curved side bars that Mike Duffy installed with new straight one's that go directly to the "A" pillar bar.
I don't want you guys on my case...................

DOTracer

#17 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:25 pm

HPDRIFTER wrote:My car went to the chassis shop today for a full 12 pt.cage (currently an 8pt roll bar) and a "funny car cage". Just to be sure,
I asked him to replace the curved side bars that Mike Duffy installed with new straight one's that go directly to the "A" pillar bar.
Did the shop mention the 25.5 spec cage? If your gonna install the funny car cage, you may as well do the 25.5 spec cage as it's not that many more bars to add.

The 25.5 cage will add resale value to the car over an 8.50 legal cage.

Hitchcock

#18 Post by Hitchcock » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:36 pm

HPDRIFTER wrote:My car went to the chassis shop today for a full 12 pt.cage (currently an 8pt roll bar) and a "funny car cage". Just to be sure,

Where did you take your car to get the work done??
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

John_Heard
Site Admin

#19 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:56 am

Duffy put bars in like that? I've not that before, course most of the cars I've seen that he has done have been 25.5. I imagine someone told him to do it that way.

HPDRIFTER

#20 Post by HPDRIFTER » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 am

My car went to Roger Fox. He built a car for my son and has done work for me, too. Excelent workmanship,
fair prices and he stops when he has a question until he finds out what you want. All around nice guy, too.
I highly recommend him. Bueatiful welding.

Duffy told me that he originally built the car for some guy to drive on the street, but it was never finished.
I don't have any intention of going faster than 10 flat because I don't like the nhrs's B/S sfi rules and politics.
I just want the F/C cage because I can. I'm having it sized for my boy's broad shoulders in case he ever wants
to push it harder. I guess those extra bars can be added later if it ever comes up. I don't care about them now.
I figure that this is my last race car. When I'm done messing with it I'll give it to the boy.

invegarating

#21 Post by invegarating » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:35 am

Hey guys,
This thread seems to be going in two directions at once!

The chassis inspector for nhra that certifies the "chassis" or rollcage could care less if the chassis has a window net,or a trans shield, or a driveshaft loop, the only thing he is concerned with is the tube thickness, bar location, and that all are installed per specs(on floor plates-welded or bolted,on frame rails etc.)

The tech guys at the track are the ones in the position to check window nets,harnesses,fire suits,fuel systems and the rest...now there are "outlaw" tracks that do not even tech the cars and this is typically where you find the cars that are running in the 9's or whatever with a bench seat,lap belt,broken windshield,and the driver has been drinking since he loaded the car that morning :shock:

As a part-time chassis builder,and car driver myself i want to do whatever i can to keep myself safe and my equipment legal,and I want to hope the guy in the other lane is doing the same!

And to the original question...even though it does not matter now but "sidebar must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow"general regulations-section 4

supernova

#22 Post by supernova » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 pm

supernova wrote:
Yah yah, I'm looking at the rule book ( I have the last 5 yrs worth of rule books ). I think most of us here knows what it says. Doesn't mean it always get followed. I know that there is only half the cars in my class that have window nets. Not having a net didn't keep them from getting stickers. Anything 9.99 or faster must have a window net. There's one car thats been running for the last 2 yrs that is a 6 point roll bar car running 5.9's in the 1/8, it even has a sticker and is allowed to run well under it's safty margin. Most of the cars in my class will run well under 5.9's 1/8 mi.

It's not just the tech guy, it's also the track guy's that have to enforce the rules and at lots of these back road small race tracks it's just not going to happen.
The org. that I race with goes to two nationaly known tracks that will tech your car before letting you race. Half the cars in my class will not show up just for that reason.

It is my opinion that the track guy's don't enforce the rules because of car count. I also think you should follow the rules and not worry about anymore!!!!!!!!!
I think I pointed out the tech guy's at the track.........
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

invegarating

#23 Post by invegarating » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:34 am

Yes you did but you also said " not having a net dident keep them from getting stickers" and it wouldnt as the chassis inspector that gives out the stickers does not look at window nets!

wikd69

#24 Post by wikd69 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 pm

invegarating wrote:Yes you did but you also said " not having a net dident keep them from getting stickers" and it wouldnt as the chassis inspector that gives out the stickers does not look at window nets!
Thats a gorgeous ride in your Avatar photo. Do you have photos posted for it ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

invegarating

#25 Post by invegarating » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks Wikd,
Photo's at photobucket,type in "invegarating"