Chassis Cert. Info

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

tzoom

Chassis Cert. Info

#1 Post by tzoom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am

Is there a checklist available (like the SCTA kindly provides for land speed racing) to use as a guideline when building a car for NHRA certification or is the inspection totally subjective and at the whim of the inspector

Moparious Maximus

Re: Chassis Cert. Info

#2 Post by Moparious Maximus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:42 am

If you are just building to meet NHRA spec's pretty much everything is in the rulebook, even though its confusing and looks like it was wrote by a guy behind a desk that dont know a damn thing.

If your chassis needs to meet SFI spec's you should call and order a SFI booklet, they have all the info you need.

The last time we bought one they were 35.00 each, and thats one booklet per chassis spec#.

Unless the phone number changed it is 858 451-8868.
'63 Plymouth, Straight axle, Leaf springs, Drum brakes, 31x10.5wx15 Rears 3215lbs
Best time to date 7.99 @ 170 mph
572" Wedge 8-71 @ 28% OD, ALKY, Glide, Dana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-xzFWHtFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyZSw59R_o

tzoom

#3 Post by tzoom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks. This is a new build and since I'm starting from the ground up I might as well build it right. The NHRA cert. would probably suffice but I may get the SFI book just for grins to see what they have to say. I wish they had a checklist like the SCTA's. It would make everything more cut and dried and leave less for interpretation.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:45 pm

How fast is the car going to be? Any specific class you're going to run? Bracket Racing, Test n' Tune, Shootout classes?

If it's a sportsman cage, the NHRA or IHRA rule book general regulations will show you what you need. If it's faster than 8.50, that requires a SFI spec cage at many tracks.