wheelie bars on 71 nova

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

bert

wheelie bars on 71 nova

#1 Post by bert » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello everyone,
I've got my car hooking up killer finnaly! I almost put it on the back bumper at the tune and test on saturday. I got the wheel stands under control with a few more clicks of rebound in the front shocks. I think I would like to add wheelie bars now.
#3000 race weight 71 nova, stock width Chris Alston fab 9 with back brace, Split mono leafs with Caltracs, 30" x 9" slick.
What do you recomend for wheelie bars and what length would be good on this combo?
If you have experiance with different brands, kits, or lengths please list pros and cons. Thanks:)
[youtube]pWMP4iSIAhk[youtube]

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: wheelie bars on 71 nova

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Never ran them myself, but I've been told you don't want unsprung wheelie bars on a leaf spring car. When the car leaves the springs wrap up and will throw solid bars down into the track. So if you do it, get sprung bars and mount them as high as you can.

bert

#3 Post by bert » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks john!

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:32 pm

I would think if you have it tune as you say you do now leave it a lone.....
But if you need wheelie bars, most of the guy's around here run solid bars as long as they can get them and very high of the ground to let the leaf spring suspenion do what it's suppose to do....Thats on the faster leaf spring cars like Kule Huettles 69 Camaro.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/kyle-hu ... 199929.htm

This guy here went 4.88 at 148 with no wheelie bars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ye_3JBdCZU

Follow Johns advice on slow cars like the rest of us have... :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

MMAX

#5 Post by MMAX » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks for your post bert, don't mean to hijack but I have a similar problem. 68' Camaro, stock front, monoleafs and ladder bars out back with a 582 between the fenders. If I bring the engine up on the brake and leave at 4500rpm the car stands itself on the back bumper. So I take it the sprung wheelie bars are the way to go? Any particular brand or size or is there a way to launch without them?

sg7365

#6 Post by sg7365 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:12 am

I kinda agree with John.

I ran solid for a couple years then switched over to the spring. It just made the car lift at a smoother rate than slamming it.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:03 am

I thought Kyle's 69 was a ladder bar car?

Bert - something else I didn't mention is if you're on a slick, the best answer is to put more power to it. If it's standing up on the bumper it's dead hooking, put more power to it so it will slip the tire a little. Controlling that wheel speed "just right" will be the fastest 60'. It'll take some work to find the sweet spot. A data logger and driveshaft speed sensor are your friend for that.

supernova

#8 Post by supernova » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am

John_Heard wrote:I thought Kyle's 69 was a ladder bar car?

Bert - something else I didn't mention is if you're on a slick, the best answer is to put more power to it. If it's standing up on the bumper it's dead hooking, put more power to it so it will slip the tire a little. Controlling that wheel speed "just right" will be the fastest 60'. It'll take some work to find the sweet spot. A data logger and driveshaft speed sensor are your friend for that.

The car that Kyle ran in Extreme Street with the Texas True Ten.5 was a leaf spring car with long wheelie bars.

He held the stock suspenion record here in Texas with that car for a long time.... Now is it still a leaf spring I don't know. It was then.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

bert

#9 Post by bert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for the input guys :-)

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:25 am

supernova wrote:
John_Heard wrote:I thought Kyle's 69 was a ladder bar car?

The car that Kyle ran in Extreme Street with the Texas True Ten.5 was a leaf spring car with long wheelie bars.

He held the stock suspenion record here in Texas with that car for a long time.... Now is it still a leaf spring I don't know. It was then.
Was it the one with the cowl scoop or the one with the big scoop on it, he's got two of them. I've only looked at the "street" car with the small motor.

supernova

#11 Post by supernova » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:00 pm

The one he ran in TTT.5 was the cowl hooded car. Forward mounted hood scoops are not allowed in any TTT.5 classes.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

CDR Performance

#12 Post by CDR Performance » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 pm

bert wrote:Hello everyone,
I've got my car hooking up killer finnaly! I almost put it on the back bumper at the tune and test on saturday. I got the wheel stands under control with a few more clicks of rebound in the front shocks. I think I would like to add wheelie bars now.
#3000 race weight 71 nova, stock width Chris Alston fab 9 with back brace, Split mono leafs with Caltracs, 30" x 9" slick.
What do you recomend for wheelie bars and what length would be good on this combo?
If you have experiance with different brands, kits, or lengths please list pros and cons. Thanks:)
As mentioned with leafs you need to be sprung and soft. The wheelie bar should have no vert bracing and be compressible. I would look at 72" to 84".

A lot of variables need to be addressed, Tune, HP, Tires, Chassis, Control box or Dots?
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz