4 link ? car leaning hard to the right please see video

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

prostude

4 link ? car leaning hard to the right please see video

#1 Post by prostude » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 pm

I have a 4 link setup that has rod ends on the front and urethane bushings on the rear of the 4 link rods
the car alos has coil springs but not coil over shocks
I have an air bag on the right side and it was set at 30 psi on this attached youtube video
the car leans way too much to the right
after this pass we brought the air press up to 44 psi and changed the left front shock from a 90/10 to a 60/40 and seemed to help but it looks like I need to adjust the 4 link any suggestions
i am running in Pinks all out in 2 weeks so I cannot make any major changes since i probably will not get a chance to test the car again
Street car Old motor 10.80 @122 1.49 60' 355 6-71 stock gm heads stock rocker arms block hugger headers 1-5/8"x2.5" collector
the car ran in the 9's in the 60's with an olds motor.

sc racing

Re: 4 link ? car leaning hard to the right please see video

#2 Post by sc racing » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: You got some problems there,Im guessing by your info that this car has a pro street or street rod type 4 bar not a 4 link. Do you have any adjustment holes? It looks like your IC is way out in front of the car you need to shorten it. We had a G body that used to launch like your car when we were able to shorten the IC it went a lot staighter. You could also put in an ARB but I think your setup is just to far off to start adding parts.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:43 am

Do you have adjustable shocks in the back also?

prostude

#4 Post by prostude » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 am

John_Heard wrote:Do you have adjustable shocks in the back also?
No I do not have adjustable shocks in the rear I was thinking of getting either a set of Rancho or Comp engineering (Of course I have not been happy with quality of the comp engineering as of late)

It does have adjustments in the 4 link I would have to take each rod off to make a change though

right now the bottom bars are pointing 5 degrees up and the top bars are pointing 5 degrees down

the top bars are located on the top holes both on the rear end and the frame and the bottom bars are located on the bottom holes and I only have one other hole of adjustment front and back for each bar
here are a couple of ideas I was looking to do possibly
1)either move the front of the bottom bars up one hole or move the front of the top bars down one hole
but this will obviosly change pinion angle and I assume move the rear wheels forward.
right now the pinion angle is about 3 degrees maybe 3.5 down and I am getting a slight vibration rims tires driveshaft have all been rechecked

2)make up a cable limiter or snubber on a stud to limit the distance travelled on the front drivers side a arm (mustang ii setup any ideas?)

3)buy adjustable rancho shocks and make both shocks on the rear stiffer to stop the right side from compressing so easily and the drivers side from expanding so easily

any advice would be great It looks like I will be tuning at the track the day before the actual pinks event so i cannot do anything to drastic unfortunately
Street car Old motor 10.80 @122 1.49 60' 355 6-71 stock gm heads stock rocker arms block hugger headers 1-5/8"x2.5" collector

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:40 am

From what I can see in the vid, the rear shocks are super loose and some good adjustable ones would likely be a good investment.

prostude

#6 Post by prostude » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:52 am

John_Heard wrote:From what I can see in the vid, the rear shocks are super loose and some good adjustable ones would likely be a good investment.
the rear shocks are just your standard run of the mill radial tuned shocks they do not skip and they go up and down evenly but are really not all that hard to move
any recomendations on shocks since this is NOT a coil over car
maybe Rancho? if so what series?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 am

I don't know much about Rancho's, but maybe one the other guys here can offer some advice on them. What kind of shock mount do you have? Do you use an external coil spring of some kind?

prostude

#8 Post by prostude » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 am

John_Heard wrote:I don't know much about Rancho's, but maybe one the other guys here can offer some advice on them. What kind of shock mount do you have? Do you use an external coil spring of some kind?
shock mount is the horizontal round hole style. the springs are mounted more or less like a coil over would be only they have an adjustment of ride height on the top mount to the frame the springs are 4" id

sc racing

#9 Post by sc racing » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:40 pm

It doesnt seem like you have a good drag type 4 link with enough holes to get it set up properly.When you move the front of the top bar down it should not change pinion angle unless the holes in the bracket are inline and you cant make the bar long enough.You should only have about 1-2* down of pinion angle with a 4 link. The wheelbase will change only if you make the bottom bars longer or shorter, I see no reason to do this. I would try to get the bottom bars level and the top bars down in the front.We tried on the Malibu to tighten the driver front and stiffen the pass rear but it still had bad pitch rotation worse than your car but its worth a try.

Jeff 4100

#10 Post by Jeff 4100 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi,

I'm a brazilian Drag Race and I've a lot of good things about the dragstuff friend tips...
When I started here my car launched not good. After very good advices here I got to improve almost 0,3sec on the 60 feet time and almost 0,5sec on the ET.
There is a very important thing that you must start on your car: SHOCKS!

Buy good adjustable shocks!!!

Test it first to fell the car handling and after change the 4 link setup. Do it step by step...fell you car in your hands with very calm...

In the end, you'll be forced to improve your suspension too...this is my example...

Regards!
Attachments
Geral.JPG
Facebook: https://pt-br.facebook.com/w2racing
http://www.w2racingchassis.com.br
jeff.automotive@hotmail.com

supernova

#11 Post by supernova » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:37 pm

I have a set of Rancho RS 9000. They have 9 clicks and it's one clicker that controls rebound but does affect compression some. If I turn the clicker all the way in it will shut the shock off. If I turn it all the way out it's like no shock... They work very well for a low dollar shock.

I think an anti roll system would help. I put one in my car because I was afraid the shock settings would be two far apart causeing other issues.
Attachments
Rancho RS9000
Rancho RS9000
Before paint
Before paint
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Hookdaddy

#12 Post by Hookdaddy » Wed May 05, 2010 3:16 pm

You need a good anti roll bar!
Don Scholl
S&W Race Cars - retired
145H Super Comp
145Y Stock Eliminator & ET Brackets

want-a-be

#13 Post by want-a-be » Wed May 05, 2010 5:43 pm

PMed you with my contact information. If you're interested then give me a call.

in the mean time,...you could go here and do some reading.

http://www.dartheads.com/dartboard/foru ... y.php?f=15

I've posted a few things that I'll probably talk to you about doing to get this thing lined out.

Sway bar would help this situation. But I prefer to have the chassis lined out before adding a sway bar to the rear suspension.

Does this car have a roll cage?

Don

prostude

#14 Post by prostude » Fri May 07, 2010 8:49 pm

don yes it has a 10 point cage in it

pro70z28

#15 Post by pro70z28 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:43 pm

I agree an anti-roll bar would make a big difference.