rear coil over tuning help needed

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

bracketracer

Re: rear coil over tuning help needed

#31 Post by bracketracer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:39 am

Billy's 4 link back in the late 50's I guess...Wonder if this is where a adjustable 4 link set up came from??? :scratch:

Elkyman1

#32 Post by Elkyman1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am

THIS picture you posted on here may be the one that started it all, and I believe it is the chassis to this car pics I have.

Billy, look familiar? :smt003

bracketracer

#33 Post by bracketracer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:02 am

Looks like it could have used an anti-roll bar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BillyShope

#34 Post by BillyShope » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Elkyman1 wrote:THIS picture you posted on here may be the one that started it all, and I believe it is the chassis to this car pics I have.

Billy, look familiar? :smt003
This isn't the original car. This is a clone that was built recently by a group at Chrysler.

As for the need for an ARB: The clone has a simple 4link and no ARB. The original had an asymmetric 3link which, when properly set up (And I don't know that it ever was. We were all learning and lacked PCs for quick setup information. All we had were sliderules.), will provide better chassis twist control than an ARB.
http://www.racetec.cc/shope

bracketracer

#35 Post by bracketracer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Billy, Have any pictures of the "original car" ???

BillyShope

#36 Post by BillyShope » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:58 pm

bracketracer wrote:Billy, Have any pictures of the "original car" ???
I have a few. Actually, the picture of the suspension, in this thread, is of the original. But, you say, you can count 4 links and I said it was a 3link. Okay, here's the explanation. The upper left link was originally intended to telescope under compressive loads. In other words, the suspension would act in a symmetrical manner during braking. (Those of us who were aware of the asymmetric 3link used in the Jaguar C-type were against this feature, but we accepted it to avoid contention.) The car's first appearance was at the '59 Nationals. We barely made it...time wise...and the car was being assembled as it went through inspection. We had no idea where we were as far as link angles were concerned, but thought we were reasonably close. We learned how far off we were on the first hard launch, when the asymmetry over-compensated so much that both right side tires were bounced off the strip surface! So, to satisfy the NHRA people, we put a bolt through the telescoping link instead of attempting a readjustment of the 3link. We ended up setting best speed in class and were beaten, during eliminations, by the then C/A record holder and eventual class winner, Billy Rassmussen of Texas.
http://www.racetec.cc/shope