Cal-Trac questions?????

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

ytnova

Re: Cal-Trac questions?????

#16 Post by ytnova » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:26 pm

The lightest rate split leaf that calvert offered, with a 2" drop, and yeah, it's still stiff as hell. I realize it stiffens the rear of the car by adding preload, but think of it this way, if you scaled the car and started adding preload to the bars, weight would move from the front to the back while the car is static, you can see it on the scales. Imagine how much more leverage you have if the bars are already preloaded, forcing the tire into the ground at rest, not to mention the pinion barely has to start rotating before appling additional load to the tires and it happens sooner. You better have some damn good shocks to control the hit and most important, control the tire from bouncing back off the ground(compression). I am not saying this is definately the way to go, just what worked for me with the 275 radials. John can chime in, but I think he had simular results only he was using slicks. Some good video work, up close, with the camera person shooting from the back quarter so you can catch both the front and rear tire is almost invaluable in finding out what is going on. When your car spun off the brake, did it roll out a foot or LESS and then spin, or spin as soon as you let go of the button? Sometimes you can't tell as a driver, atleast not until you get more familiar with it, any chance you had someone close watching? Not bashing the track, but is there any chance being how it was a test and tune the track just sucked?
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

supernova

#17 Post by supernova » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm

I have The 1" drop springs with 1" drop block so it's down 2"s with it preloaded a 1/4 of a turn. Shocks were set on 4 clicks out of 12. Tires are at 17psi. Launch limiter was at 4000 rpm's and the canverter will go to 4600 rpm's unlimited. Car never moved just went straight to tire spin. The track was at 120* at the time of launch and I didn't get to good of a burn out. No timing coming out at this point. Was I launching at too high of a launch rpm? The converter is a 5400 rpm nitrous converter from Hughes.

Now then, in this video you can see the car rock back on the launch and then forward, and back again. That was on a foot brake at 2000rpm's with the rear and front shocks all the way off, tire pressure at 16 psi. I think it bounced off the tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEr2FI8onlA
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

ytnova

#18 Post by ytnova » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 am

Kinda hard to tell, the vid is too far away and at the wrong angle to really recommend anything. My car kinda does the same thing when I launch on motor, but goes away when I spray it, a shock adjustment should make that go away if you had them full soft. If the track is not busy and they will let you, just go out and make 60 foot passes, no need to run it all out. Let us know when you head out again.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

supernova

#19 Post by supernova » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:22 am

We're headed out next Friday on the 30th.
Will have a progress report after.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

jaspermaggie

#20 Post by jaspermaggie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:12 am

I have my 255/60/15 Mt at 17.5-18 get out of the box and spin to a count of 3. If I do more it spins at the line. I run mine in lower hole and turn the bar till it just hits no preload. I also run 5 clicks. This is just what I do. You have way more power than I do. I run 1.58 60' 7.36 1/8.
My car is not as fast as I think it is.