Rack & Pinion question

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Craig W.

Re: Rack & Pinion question

#16 Post by Craig W. » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 pm

I used the John Heard method of measuring bump steer...a small laser level clamped perpendicular to the brake rotor, shooting across the garage onto a cardboard box. A vertical line drawn on it for reference easily showed when I had minimized the bump steer.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

tallwelder

#17 Post by tallwelder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:55 am

Craig W. wrote:I used the John Heard method of measuring bump steer...a small laser level clamped perpendicular to the brake rotor, shooting across the garage onto a cardboard box. A vertical line drawn on it for reference easily showed when I had minimized the bump steer.
That is a great idea! Would speed up the process roughing in bump steer. I would still use a bumpsteer gauge to finalize the settings due to the need to measure down to the thousands.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Carl

John_Heard
Site Admin

#18 Post by John_Heard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:11 am

It does work good, you can view the arc as you make changes and tell quickly if you're going in the right direction, and when you went too far. The long distance across the garage REALLY amplifies what is going on too. I follow this up with a laser toe-in gauge that I spent way too much money, but it works good.

Craig W.

#19 Post by Craig W. » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm

After I minimized the bump steer, I had the car re-aligned by my favorite shop. Goes really straight. Easy to drive.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Milwaukee Tool Guy

#20 Post by Milwaukee Tool Guy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 pm

I am new here but I like this site......I have a 78 El Camino drag car with all of the front end update that I know of on it....With that said I got my rack for QuarterMax.com And it is a shorten rack I think its 5.125 shorter than stock.. Fit great on my car and no bump steer problems..I think it was $199.95. I also used a tie rod adapter from speedway motors that bolts into your spindle and you can use a heim joint on it. You can also adjust the heim up and down for bump steer. #91636055 and I think $9.99 each. That my two cent...Thanks