wheels up them down and spin

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

ljmachguru

wheels up them down and spin

#1 Post by ljmachguru » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:02 am

Im new here so bare with me. 1980 malibu 468bbc ladder bar qa1 sng adj. coilovers. leaving on the transbrake car pulls fronts about 10-12 inches really square no tilt at all but when it starts back down and/or just as the front touches it loses traction and its almost as it is bogging it out of its pull t400 so when it sits down its time to shift but im getting killed on my 60 ft and having to run the guys down on the big end. my question is i have never adjusted the rear shocks but i have changed from a drag slick to a mt et street radial 275-50. by adjusting the rear shocks can i delay the front from slamming down giving me a softer landing so to speak and prevent the front from unloading so soon? or am i lookin up the wrong end of the mule? thanks guys need help got 2 guys coming for me with deep pockets. should i soften them or stiffen them or just leave them alone?

CDR Performance

Re: wheels up them down and spin

#2 Post by CDR Performance » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:45 am

What is the front end doing?
Do you have limiters on it?
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz

ljmachguru

#3 Post by ljmachguru » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 am

No sir, no limiters on front. As far as i can tell from lookin under the car it has hit pretty hard before i got it. The paper work that came with the car says it has lakewood 90-10's on the front. bump snubbers is all i have found as far as a limit on the front suspension.? front seems really soft but it still has full travel?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:29 pm

How are you determining exactly when it's loosing traction? Is this from a buddy watching, video, seat of the pants? Do you have some video you can post of what it's doing?

How stiff do you have the rear shocks? Is it running out of travel in the back at that point?

DOTracer

#5 Post by DOTracer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 pm

With the radials, you really need a good double adjustable shock out back to control the suspension velocity.

Simply put, the rear shock rebound needs to be pretty soft, but the compression VERY firm.

Up front, you really need a tighter rebound to slow the front end rise. The slower it rises, the better chance it'll carry the tires further and set them down slower. A more controlled power stand as opposed to a quick "pop and drop".

I went through something similar, although my car didn't have enough travel and it would only pick the tires up 2 to 4" and as soon as they touched the ground it blew the drag radials off. More travel fixed the problem.

Suspension control with good shocks is critical when running radials with a decent amount of power.

ljmachguru

#6 Post by ljmachguru » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Pop and drop is what it is doing. I am planning to go t and tune tomorrow nite i will try to "stiffen up" the rear compression and try it .The car actually walks the front about 5 to 7 feet but when it hits and the front noses down i can feel it break loose and slows the hard pull it had started and i can then feel the tires slipping.Its almost as when it lands the brakes come on? Its killin my 60 ft time.

CDR Performance

#7 Post by CDR Performance » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:53 am

Have a buddy get some good clean video of the car, from the side. It can tell volumes of what is going on.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz

ljmachguru

#8 Post by ljmachguru » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Adjusted {stiffened} the rear shocks last night and car left like a rocket picked up 4 tenths on my 1/8 e.t. Thanks to all .You guys rock!!!