Roll Cage question

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

luv454

Roll Cage question

#1 Post by luv454 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:07 am

I'm installing a 12 point mild steel cage in my 71 Nova. My question is about the rear strut bars. If I tack them on the top of the main hoop bar they measure 36" center to center. Where they they attach over the rear frame on each side measures 44" on center. So now the question is, is this okay or should they be 44" on the top of the main hoop? This is a Competition Engineering kit. If I go to the full 44" then it lines up with the top halo bar just below the bend on the main hoop.
Thanks for any help and feedback. I know there is alot of knowledge on this site.

sc racing

Re: Roll Cage question

#2 Post by sc racing » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Its usually better to have a bar across from each other at the attaching point, you should also be mounting the rear bars right where the rear shocks mount. If they are out wide you should put an X in the back but check the rule book because I think you can use 1-1/2" tubing.

DOTracer

#3 Post by DOTracer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 pm

I try and put the rear bars on the radius of the main hoop just opposite of the roof line bars. I don't like the rear bars hitting the main hoop where the bars are unsupported on the other side. You will have flex there. The idea is to carry the load throughout the cage and it's forces from one bar to the other.

luv454

#4 Post by luv454 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks, that answers my question about where the rear strut bars should be mounted then. I do plan on installing the X brace. The kits instructions have me attaching the X bars to the rear strut bars at the main hoop and the frame over the rear leaf spring mount. I have seen them done where the X attaches at the Main hoop but then attaches to where the rear shocks mount and the rear strut attaches over the frame at the rear. What should I do follow the instructions? I have moved the upper shock mount to the inside of the frame rail with one of the competition engineering bars that is welded on both sides of the frame.
Thanks,

DOTracer

#5 Post by DOTracer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:05 am

Most of the time I run the rear bars to brace the shock mounts. Often it's straight bars to the shock mounts, then x-brace the straight bars.