coil over kit for nova. bad idea???

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

chpcamaro

Re: coil over kit for nova. bad idea???

#31 Post by chpcamaro » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 pm

hey 71 chevy when i said 4 inch of travel i mean if you jack the car up from ride height it will only travel 4 inchs the shock may only have x amount but by the time it reaches the wheel it increases if that makes sense. i would work with what you have right now you can always upgrade later the setup you have now worked for me for a long time :mrgreen:
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

71 chevy

#32 Post by 71 chevy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:57 pm

ytnova wrote:Hey 71 chevy, are you doing a ls1 swap? I have some engine mount, oil pan and header questions. I am thinking of doing the same thing for this 68 I just picked up, like you, on a budget.
ask away. I cant help with the headers as Ive always used flipped manifolds but I can probably help with other questions.

ytnova

#33 Post by ytnova » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 am

Currently it has a first gen 327 w/ a th400 and I have a complete 5.3 out of a silverado that is currently in another project. I already have the trans/convertor adapter, so I am good there. I was looking as using some transdapt mounts/plates, but they offer two, one being a 1" inch set back. I would like to reuse the stock 400 crossmember. What did you use? Will the stock 5.3 truck pan work? or do I need to go after a f-body pan or the gm muscle car pan? Thanks.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

sc racing

#34 Post by sc racing » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 am

ytnova wrote:Currently it has a first gen 327 w/ a th400 and I have a complete 5.3 out of a silverado that is currently in another project. I already have the trans/convertor adapter, so I am good there. I was looking as using some transdapt mounts/plates, but they offer two, one being a 1" inch set back. I would like to reuse the stock 400 crossmember. What did you use? Will the stock 5.3 truck pan work? or do I need to go after a f-body pan or the gm muscle car pan? Thanks.
Is the oil filter in the center of the pan? The LS swap I did in an El camino had a 6.0 LS2 from an SSR truck and had to change the pan I used one from Autokraft it uses a spin on filter instead of a relocation kit like Moroso or Milidon. The stock F-body pan wont clear without modification and if this is a street car with p/s and a/c you will probably have to change around the front drive system. Are you putting turbos on it? if not Street and Performance has mid length headers that fit good but dont get the collectors with the O2 bugs weled in they put them in places that make the O2 sensors really close to hitting the frame (on an A body anyway).If I can help let me know.

ytnova

#35 Post by ytnova » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:50 am

I am just trying to put the engine in the stock location so I can use the existing th400 and crossmember. As for the pan, the stock silverado pan is very simular to a gen 1 sbc, screw on oil filter in about the same location. I just want to know if it is too low or has steering fitment problems, ie it is still a rear steer. As for the headers, dynatech makes a nice long tube coated set for under 400 bucks that I am eye balling. I am not real worried about the accessory drive right now, I am planning on just running a alt with either a remote mount water pump or using moroso's new adapters which allow the use of any bbc water pump, electric or conventional.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

sc racing

#36 Post by sc racing » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 am

We used the Street & Perf mounts they are supposed to mount it in the stock location I think the trans dapt ones do also but I never used those. I dont know about the pan I had to use the modified f-body pan on an 89 firebird I did but thats a whole different deal same as the El Camino its front steer.

sc racing

#37 Post by sc racing » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Heres a pic of the modified f-body pan. Holley is coming out with a new swap pan next year.Those Dynatech headers use Detroit Speed motor mounts.

71 chevy

#38 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 pm

ytnova wrote:Currently it has a first gen 327 w/ a th400 and I have a complete 5.3 out of a silverado that is currently in another project. I already have the trans/convertor adapter, so I am good there. I was looking as using some transdapt mounts/plates, but they offer two, one being a 1" inch set back. I would like to reuse the stock 400 crossmember. What did you use? Will the stock 5.3 truck pan work? or do I need to go after a f-body pan or the gm muscle car pan? Thanks.

use a 1" setback plate to put the trans mount in the stock location. keep in mind the engine will more than likely interfere with your heater core tubes if those are still in. my first build used 1" setback mounts from ebay that I got for $40. I didnt have the heater core so no issues. my new build I used a motor plate and set it back even further so I made a custom trans crossmember

as far as the stock pan, I would DEFINITELY use it if your car is not set too low. it drops right in. it hangs about 1.5" low but I dont believe it is a problem is the car is at normal height.

if you go aftermarket, I really like the autokraft pan at around $400. no need to relocate oil filter etc

ytnova

#39 Post by ytnova » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:28 am

That is exactly what I needed to know. The heater core is not a issue, car is a factory a/c car so the heater connection is way down inside the inner fender. That is what I was afraid of with the oil pan, but I still might do it. The GM muscle car pan is under $150 from jegs, and it is the same as the pickup pan, only not as deep. Pretty good deal, it comes complete with windage tray, dip stick etc. Do you have any picks of your motor plate setup?

71 chevy

#40 Post by 71 chevy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:37 pm

the truck pan is 8.5" deep vs 7.5 for the gm pan so i guess you gain one inch back by using that and the price is not bad.

all have to go back and look for motor plate pics. there is so much stuff there right now you cant even see it

sc racing

#41 Post by sc racing » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:06 am

I tried to put that GM truck pan on the 05 LS2 from the SSR and it didnt fit I cant remember why but I know it wouldnt bolt on. I thought all the LS based engines were the same. I used the Autokraft pan its really close to the crossmember and the inner tie rod ends just touch at full turn.