Anyone ever fab their own control arms?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

71 chevy

Anyone ever fab their own control arms?

#1 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Im having an issue with my front end. I have no shims at all and Im still at -1 camber and Im sure the caster is way off.

I was thinking of fabbing upper control arms that would fix these two problems.

does anyone have any experience doing this?

slightly tweeked

Re: Anyone ever fab their own control arms?

#2 Post by slightly tweeked » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:37 pm

71 chevy wrote:Im having an issue with my front end. I have no shims at all and Im still at -1 camber and Im sure the caster is way off.

I was thinking of fabbing upper control arms that would fix these two problems.

does anyone have any experience doing this?
Sounds like you may have a bent frame.
72 Nova
548 cu in,900hp
Turbo 400
5600 stall
Ford 9in,457 gears
3640 lbs,all steel car.except hood.
Runs low 9s in 1/4.High 5s in 1/8.

ytnova

#3 Post by ytnova » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:34 am

I would bet the frame ears where the control arms mount is bent, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure the spindle is not bent also. Check out the uppers from TRZ, they have some PRO-OPTION ones that have heim ends on the top, they might be able to get you enough adjustment. If not, give them a call, I am sure they can modify them for you. There are a couple of other options you can try also. You can buy new frame tabs from speedway or some other circle track suppliers to mount the control arms and place them where ever you need. You can also google about the Gulstrand mod, which has you cut off the tab and remount it in a slightly altered position effectively altering the caster and camber when cornering.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

JES

#4 Post by JES » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:01 pm

I have not made my own UCA. From my experience, the promlem you are seeing is from the frame sagging in the center. The lack of shims is the tale/tale sign. The engine mount bolts are are also probably hard to get out, to fix this is a PITA but can be done. PM me and I'll help if interested. John.

71 chevy

#5 Post by 71 chevy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:24 pm

thanks for all the replies. I dont think its a bent frame. I think its the geometry on the spindle is way off.

spindle is an aftermarket one and it looks very similar to this one.
http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-214-fab ... rakes.aspx

how can I tell if the frame/frame ears are bent?

ytnova

#6 Post by ytnova » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:44 pm

I usually would not suspect one being bent unless it has been raced hard, wheelstood, crashed, or show other signs of damage from previous owners. With that being said, you can check the wheel base from side to side and also check it diagnolly, but also realize that the subframe itself can shift in the car, yet alone how it is aligned. I would think if you had the engine out and checked across the control arm tabs diagnolly it should also be the same, and minor differences would probably be sorted out with shim adjustments between the arm and tab. My bet would be the spindle if it is aftermarket. You also want to make sure that the steering center link is parallel to the center crossmember, GM and the aftermarket have made different length pitman, idler arms, and steering arms through the years. I have seen miss matched ones on cars before. If you want some interesting reading on first gen camaro and our generation novas suspension, checkout this site: http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension.htm
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

71 chevy

#7 Post by 71 chevy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:45 pm

this is the spindle currently on it. God knows whats its originally from.

Im looking for a replacement with the correct geometry that will allow me to bolt my current brakes setup and steering in place, and I would like for it to be as inexpensive as possible

the frame is not bent, I just think the spindle is the wrong geometry. I think that a pair of Smith racecraft control arms with heim ends could fix it but Im looking for a solution thats less than $500

I appreciate any suggestions.