How to correct "Toe in" with front up?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Gus68

How to correct "Toe in" with front up?

#1 Post by Gus68 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I can't find it. Anyway, my car (68 chevelle) toes in pretty bad when the font end is up going down the track. I have seen these kits you can buy that replaces the outer tierod end with a hiem and you can use spacers to make the hiem joint lower on the steering arm on the spindle. This is supposed to correct this problem, but looking at my front suspension, I would think it would make it worse. Am I just thinking too hard, or is there a better fix for this?

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: How to correct "Toe in" with front up?

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 am

What kind of steering do you have? Is it a stock setup or rack?

Are you setting the toe-in with the front raised some?

Gus68

#3 Post by Gus68 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:48 pm

It's stock, but all rebuilt with rubber bushings. Oh and if it matters I have disk brakes off of a 72 chevelle.

Gus68

#4 Post by Gus68 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:50 pm

No I didn't set the toe with the front end up. What does that do to the toe when it is at ride hight? make it toe out?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:07 pm

With a stock front end, you're going to have to make compromises. Your set up, if you set it at 1/8 in at downtrack height, might be toed out at rest. This is something you'll have to play with and see what you can get it set at. Ideally, it would never toe out through out it's travel (Think coming down from a wheelie or when hitting the brakes and the nose dives). The idea being to get it to around 1/8" toe in or so where the car runs down track.

If the front end transitions from toe-in to toe-out, it can really make it a handful, so avoid that.

I'm not familiar enough with the stock 68 Chevelle front ends to tell you what to do to help reduce it, maybe someone else will chime in on that.

71 chevy

#6 Post by 71 chevy » Sat May 21, 2011 10:39 pm

im having a similar issue. if I jack up my front end, I go from toe in to toe out. its a nova with a rack and pinion setup.

what is the procedure for correcting this?