Opinions needed on my chassis setup !

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

JSutphin

Opinions needed on my chassis setup !

#1 Post by JSutphin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey guys, Im looking for some help. Building my first car and I plan on keeping this for a while. Problem is, I really want to get into a heads up class with in 2-3 years (budget permitting), so Im trying to plan ahead and build the car with those rules in mind. The class Im eying is X275. Its concentrated here in the mid/northeast and is basically an 1/8 mile drag radial class. Here is a link for the full official rules in pdf.

http://www.mirdrag.com/v2/rules/pdf/2011/11_x275.pdf

Below is the chassis section of the rule book. I feel the class is geared towards mustangs, f-bodies and g-bodies with a good working factory style suspension. However, my turd came with a weak IRS, so im going with a Ford 8.8 and ladder bars.

Complete stock chassis and frame rails must be retained. Back-halved cars are not permitted. Front core support may be modified or removed. Aftermarket bolt-on replacement front k-members/sub frames are allowed (if front shocks bolt to k-member then they must be in factory location). Mini tubs are allowed. Rear frame rails may be notched for clearance. Factory wheelbase must be maintained.

*Aftermarket rear suspension (ladder bar): add 50lbs.

I need help interpreting the rules here.... I understand I need to keep the stock frame rails and can notch them for tire clearance but what about the rest of the floor ? What do they mean "complete stock chassis" ?

The measurement between the stock frame rails is 25" inside to inside. The plan is to install my 2x3 universal ladder bar frame rails on the inside of the stock frame rails and build the rest like a "typical" back half car. If I find it necessary to fit within the rules, weld the pieces of the stock floor back into place afterward.

Any input is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance !

Joe

JSutphin

Re: Opinions needed on my chassis setup !

#2 Post by JSutphin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Heres a really good article about the class.... if you guys dont already know about it.

http://www.dragzine.com/features/a-look ... al-racing/

Mike Peters

#3 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

My input is you ask the guy who writes the rules and that would be John Sears. X275 is a hot topic on YellowBullet and John spends a lot of time answering questions over there. John's a great guy and would answer any questions you have on your build as far as what's legal.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

JSutphin

#4 Post by JSutphin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:00 pm

email sent. Thanks for the advice

Mike Peters

#5 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Good luck with your build and tell John Sears I said hello. He's an uber busy man with this X275 stuff these days.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

JSutphin

#6 Post by JSutphin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:49 pm

will do !