roll cage question

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

JSutphin

roll cage question

#1 Post by JSutphin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 am

Hey guys,

Looking for advice or even some examples of what you have done, because Ive been searching for a few days now and cant find anything on this topic. Im going to be starting the cage in my 240sx this weekend and have some issues. Its an S&W 10 point and I have the floor cut out from the cross member back. So just mounting to the floor is out of the question.

I always thought I would mount the main hoop to the front ladder bar crossmember. Because its sitting so far forward in the car thats not going to be easily done. I feel I have 2 options -
1- have the main hoop leaning back at a 75-80 degree angle, if 90 degrees is straight up and down. Which seems like it would compromise strength and maybe look a little funny.
2- box out to the rocker panel and be able to mount the main hoop @ a 90 degree angle and have plenty of room for everything including the seat. I thought running some 2x3 square tubing from the frame rails to the rockers but that wont work because Im using the newer style front brackets that mount under the frame rails, similar to this:http://swracecars.com/store/Ladder-Bar- ... 0-300.aspx

So how would you mount the main hoop in a typical back half car ?

JSutphin

Re: roll cage question

#2 Post by JSutphin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 am

Found this on another site today. With this info I might go with leaning it back and go with the standard 2 rear bars and additional rear X bars down to the upper shock mount. Thoughts on this ?

Got a answer from sfi. Here is a copy and paste from the email they sent.

Thank you for contacting us with your question. I have looked into this and
found that the main hoop may be laid back (or forward) but the driver must
be encapsulated within the required roll cage components. There is no
maximum amount of degrees specified for SFI Spec. 25.2. I hope this helps.

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:24 pm

I actually used that rear frame assembly 10-300 in my Camaro.
Instead of using the 6" x 6" x 1/8" plates they supplied, I used a plate that was 12" x 6" x 3/16" and formed it to my
rocker panel and installed the front crossmember and main hoop to that plate.
The crossmember is in front of my main hoop and I layed the main hoop back just a little, maybe 85*.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

JSutphin

#4 Post by JSutphin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:41 pm

by chance, have any pictures ?

Bruce69Camaro

#5 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

My entire car is done up with S&W parts mainly because I got in good with the VP from there and the shop is less then
an hour away from me.
I also used their 14 point sportsman cage as well as the frame.
I got a view of the cage/ x-bar from the side but I don't have a way to post it.
What kind of a picture are you looking for, I got some more at home.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

JSutphin

#6 Post by JSutphin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:42 pm

If its alot of trouble to load the pics dont worry about it... But Ill pm you my email address to make it easier.

Pictures referencing the main hoop to cross member area.... I mean any basically that have to do with the front crossmember. This is always where I had the most questions. When I go to the track its hard to see how the other car have theirs because of carpet and whatnot and very little information on the internet about it.

Thanks for your help

Bruce69Camaro

#7 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Email sent your way.....

If you don't get it let me know.