front travel

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

jaspermaggie

front travel

#1 Post by jaspermaggie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 pm

I think I need more front up travel. If I jack the car up and mesure from the fender to some point it is 3.5 inch. Do I lower the front to get this. Do I need to lower the car all around. I just do not get traction and if I do It is inconsistant. I have a 55 chevy 3500 430hp motor 550 nitrous. M/t 255 at 17 psi. caltracs strange shocks. Sometimes it spins at the start sometimes it unloads after a few feet. You see the front come up stop and unload.
My car is not as fast as I think it is.

DOTracer

Re: front travel

#2 Post by DOTracer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:31 am

You could definately use more front end travel. I'd shoot for 5" if you can.

Lowering the front end and compressing the coil spring and shock more will give more extension travel.

Also, do you have double adjustable shocks out back? On higher HP cars they are a must for running D/R tires. With lower hp stuff like yours, it'll be more forgiving, but something to keep in mind as a possible future upgrade out back.

want-a-be

#3 Post by want-a-be » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am

Assuming this is a bone stock chassis. Here is what I would do.

Find a front spring that fits that will have a rate of about 200 pounds. If you are running stock springs this will more then likely lower your front end to where you want it and achieve the up travel you'd like. Get a good 90/10 shock for up front also. Refer to the "Front coil rates" thread I just responded to see how his chassis responded to this same change.

What kind of rear suspension are you running? Stock springs there also? You can change those springs to a lighter rate also. If you are running slapper bars. I prefer to have them hitting the eyelet for the front of the spring. Usually this means making your own or extending the ones you have.

If you're interested in talking a bit more about what you need to do then pm me and I'd be more then happy to send you my phone number and talk on the phone more about this. I have nothing to sell you and that isn't my intention. Helping you go faster is though.

Don

want-a-be

#4 Post by want-a-be » Sun May 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Jasper,....

Any feed back on this???

Don

jaspermaggie

#5 Post by jaspermaggie » Mon May 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Hay wonted to go the track first and then call. I went and run a best on motor 8.08 twice and on a 125 shot I pulled the wheels about 8" and ran a 7.30 7.31 and a 7.35 lost a little traction think it is tire psi and then try slowing down the front. At lest I have a direction. Before I could run a 7.50 the a 8.80 without changing anything. Thanks guys
My car is not as fast as I think it is.