Rear leaf springs

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

clutchdude

Re: Rear leaf springs

#16 Post by clutchdude » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:55 pm

I have never ran D/R's, but from what i have heard they dont like to be shocked like a slick does, they work better when progressively loaded.

more preload = harder hit
Also top hole hits harder than bottom is what i have been told.

71Hellride

#17 Post by 71Hellride » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:31 pm

I'd say your biggest problem is the shocks and your gear ratio. With the turbo 350 and the 4.11 rear gear, you have a 10.35 ratio off the line (assuming you have a stock gear set) . That's a lot of gear and hit for the 275. Fwiw I have mine in the top hole also with a 1/4 turn of preload. I've never tried them anywhere else to be honest.

JES

#18 Post by JES » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Great advice. O.K. never got to the scales, but I did start to soften the springs and with one side done I could see that I was not going to have enough upward shock travel so....... did not do it. While I was under the car I could hear the rear poly shackle bushings binding, so I backed off the the bolts and nuts just a fuzz. Left the shock alone, put 16lb in the tires went to the track....WOW,WOW,WOW! first run was best ever at this track. 7.090 in the1/8 then went 7.031 next run! run two 7.081 and two 7.063 this is the most consistant it has eveer been. The only fly in the ointment is what a couple of you told me could happen, I had tire shake on two runs...never had this before. It was violent! Looks like I need to buy better skocks. Thanks again for the ideas. John. P.S. Did not find a 6.xxx to day but what an improvment.