i have a newbie suspension question

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

71Hellride

Re: i have a newbie suspension question

#16 Post by 71Hellride » Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

71chevy,

Your shocks probably only adjust rebound and the compression is fixed on firm. As long as it comes up free it should be fine. Mine was real low too, when you jack up the ride height it will take some travel away. 4" has always been plenty on my car though.

want-a-be

#17 Post by want-a-be » Fri May 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Here is a little test that is easy to do that may sound stupid at first. This is a good test to do right before you change springs so you can have a sort of bench test before and after.

Measure some where on the car to the ground in front of the front tires. Then grab the front bumper, if it isn't fiberglass, and pick up on the front end. Measure how far you picked it up at the same marked measuring point. Do this same test after changing springs and compare the before and after.

How does this prove anything at all? Well lets take the 1800 pound front end of the car one of you guys was talking about. Can you pick up 1800 pounds if it was setting on the floor in a block? I doubt it. So how are you able to do it here. Simple answer. The coil springs are trying to push the chassis up. If the springs are too heavy you won't be able to lift the chassis very much. The lighter and longer the springs you install,...the higher they will help you lift the front end while launching the car. Hence the term,....store energy in your springs. Of course you can go too light.

Don

If you want any more of my opinion on the subject I'd be glad to talk with you about it on the phone. PM for the contact info and I'd be glad to help if I can.

71Hellride

#18 Post by 71Hellride » Sat May 07, 2011 12:22 am

I agree want a be, you want the lightest longest spring you can run without going into coil bind. Oh And I said I had an 8" spring but they are 10".