Calvert-Split Mono Leaf

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

79 Camaro

Calvert-Split Mono Leaf

#1 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:24 am

Just wondering what the advantage is to have this setup over a stock multi-leaf setup, besides the weight reduction. How does it work? My Grandpa was wanting to know so he ask me to put this on here :D I check the Calvert Racing Web page but there wasnt any Info on it.

Thanks

Adam
Attachments
SpringOnly.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 am

Here's the deal with those springs. The front portion of the leaf is heavier to resist bending which is something that will happen at high power levels, the back portion is lighter to get the spring rate correct for the weight of the car. And yes they are lighter than a multi-leaf spring as well.

Another nice part about it is you can switch out the back sections to change the ride height, I just got done doing that on my car and lowered the back end about 1 1/2" from where it was. Still don't know if that was a good or bad decision yet LOL

79 Camaro

#3 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Thanks John, I will have Gramps get on here and take a look. Scott Willis and I was looking for you last Sat at the KAN. :D But he said that he talk to ya.

Adam

Here is a New Pic with the new front setup. I think that I need to drop the Cal tracs in the Bottom hole because I have alot of Body separation in the back? My 60ft didnt improve any, mostly 1.49 every time- give or take a few hundred thousanths
Attachments
IMG_5096.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend the last MAKO race due to my wife's current health condition. I probably won't be out racing or spectating for a while so take lots of pictures and videos.. I liked that one you took of the final round!

Yes, you are definitely getting plenty of body separation. I would not be surprised at all if you're running out of shock travel. You can try the cal-tracs in the bottom hole, that might take a little of that out but you're probably going to find you need a stiffer rebound shock to control that rear end. Look at that new picture and compare it to the one in your avatar - you're getting a lot more than you were.. did you change something?

Ron69SS

#5 Post by Ron69SS » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:23 am

Here is a video of my car which has the Split Monos along with the CalTracs.

I have not yet seen this....dail up sucks!

http://www.blackholehunter.com/Videos/H ... final1.wmv

From just lying under the car and watching the springs work while pushing up and down on the car, the back half is the suspension...the front half with the CalTracs doesn't move. It's pretty cool.

Does it separate in back? Is separation all that important? How much?
You all can tell me...cause again, I haven't seen it.

Ron
69 Nova, 498", 9.91 @ 133.63 with 4.10's
10.0's with the 3.73's, sometimes.
9.41 @ 143 with a 150 shot
Pump gas, NA, Driven to and from the strip

1badnova

#6 Post by 1badnova » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:05 am

nice run!!!

JohnDougherty

#7 Post by JohnDougherty » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:12 pm

Nice run.
Doesnt look you are getting more than 1 inch of seperation in the back.
I was told a car with Caltrac bars should launch more like a 4 link car with no seperation.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:49 pm

JohnDougherty wrote:
I was told a car with Caltrac bars should launch more like a 4 link car with no seperation.
I've never seen that to be the case with a high horsepower car anyway. A leaf spring car has a much different Instant Center than what a 4 link would/should have.