competiton engineering drag shocks

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

bottlesempty

competiton engineering drag shocks

#1 Post by bottlesempty » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 pm

has anyone had goodluck with these shocks since being paralyzed instead of abondoning my project Im wanting to finish my malibu for my father to be able burn some rubber now disabled money is very tight was wondering if CE shocks would be inexpensive choice for my mid 11second Gbody guys bethankful for you r abilities I never imagined Id have a stroke @ 34 it happened just when I was getting chance drive car to track & race it I know there are much better shocks but are these serviceable??????

Bruce69Camaro

Re: competiton engineering drag shocks

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:06 am

I can't give you an answer on how the shock performs, but from what I've been told, the Summit brand race shock is the same shock, just sold under the Summit name and is cheaper.

You might do just as good with a cheap gas shock from Autozone or Advance Autoparts.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

bottlesempty

#3 Post by bottlesempty » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

that was my next ? Ive seen summit shocks looksilike a steal in theiradvertising how accesable are knobs to adjust summit shocks Isimply cant afford coil overs now but giving up on my 9 year relationship with my car would be like being defeated by stroke I got avision Inever ran from troublebefore IGotta see this vision through to reality tmy uncle has raced afew true street events ?I like the co cept it sabout consistency when Icame outof comalmy girl got medave morgans book Im excited to get the car on scales try to apply ssome of the information from that book to ty to minimize 60' if properly tuned Ithink car could be fun tostreet r race other275radial street cars see ifmydad can go afew rounds in bracket race or win couple $ Im big fan of mid atlantic /northeast275radial racing proof stock suspension willhold HP if properly tuned Im feeling confident

chpcamaro

#4 Post by chpcamaro » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:16 am

if we are talking about those 3 way adjust able shock don't waste your money they are old gabirel adjust able e shocks they were designed for handling which the never worked right nor are is there a match set just buy the lakewood front shocks if your talking about a 10.50 to 14 second car then the 90/10 work great for the money
oh and if you want them for the back go with the 50/50 lakewoods
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

#5 Post by 1720 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:09 pm

chpcamaro wrote:if we are talking about those 3 way adjust able shock don't waste your money they are old gabirel adjust able e shocks they were designed for handling which the never worked right nor are is there a match set just buy the lakewood front shocks if your talking about a 10.50 to 14 second car then the 90/10 work great for the money
oh and if you want them for the back go with the 50/50 lakewoods
X2...tried the 3 way on the front...didn't work right, couldn't be sure the setting was right and found them binding. Went with Lakewood 90/10, and all was fixed. Still not satisfied, tried the 3-way rears, replacing our 50/50 Lakewoods, and, again, found the adjustment of no value and difficult to get right.
Back to the "Made in Canada" Lakewood 50/50's, retiring the "Made in Mexico" Comp Engineering wonders! :pissed:
RT Sr.
Racing WAY too long.
Team History http://home.cogeco.ca/~trthistory1/

Dave Morgan

#6 Post by Dave Morgan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:53 pm

I agree with 1720 but understand that shocks are not an area where you want to skimp on money. QA-1, Koni, Strange and Afco would all be a better choice.
Dave
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:43 pm

As you guys know, I believe in the value of good shocks, but this fella is wanting to do it cheap and we're talking a 11 second car here.

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:46 am

Since Ive had both the CE and Lakwoods on 11,10 and 9 second cars I would vote for the Lakwoods as mentioned above the adjustment on the CE dont seem to work very well.

Dave Morgan

#9 Post by Dave Morgan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:46 pm

John, if this was a 17-second car, I'd agree with you but I think the larger question is, "How long does he plan to keep the stock front subframe." If it's going to remain in the car for sveral seasons, then I think it would be better to step-up and by shocks that work well now rather than buying something that is sub-standard now, only to replac them later.
Dave

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Yes, I agree, but where do you draw the line at here? Obviously Lakewoods aren't going to take him deep into the 8 second zone, but if realistic ET expectations are 10 seconds or slower for the next few years, they may do just fine.

This is a hard call when you keep improving the performance of a car, do you spend the big bucks right off the bat for some high dollar shocks or do you try to find a compromise and sell your old ones when you step up? I'm on my 3rd set of shocks on my car. Started with unadjustable Koni's, then went to Strange, next Santhuffs. HUGE difference in cost and I'd been money ahead if I had bought the Santhuffs to start with. But, I had no idea I would get that carried away with the car.

Mission Creep happens lol...

Dave Morgan

#11 Post by Dave Morgan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Mission creep is a good explanation. My point is that some long-term planning is in order. I can't express how often I've seen guys go for the short term, only to redo some part of the car because they didn't plan ahead.