mini tubbing, cuting and locations.

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

dms2871

mini tubbing, cuting and locations.

#1 Post by dms2871 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Question: how far do you cut frame rails in for a mini tub? and how long front to back? do you just cut up to frame rail or cut into it cutting off the 1/2" flange out off the frame rail, and welding it to the floor flush? and far as where you cut for lenght where do you stop and start? im really confused. some of the pics i see on here of a mini tub they split the wheel well and move it over with a gap of about 2". i have nothing there both passenger and driver sides are gone even the outer wheel well that meets the 1/4 panel both sides are out starting fresh. trunk needs replaced and the floor under the rear seat needs replaced.

chpcamaro

Re: mini tubbing, cuting and locations.

#2 Post by chpcamaro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:14 am

well the fun part will be the cut to form it to the outter quarters my self we dont cut into the frame we cut it flush to the frame rail and we fit 10.5 w on a 10 inch rims with 6.5 back spacing with a stock length rear end and we have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch on either side and you should have more without the factory out well. now alot of people cut the frame all the way to the inner side of the frame rail so it is your choice depending how wide your planning on going personel if i needed more traction i would go taller so then you would have to widen the wheel wells. but i think most will be able to reach there goals with easy with a 10.5 w.
i hope this helped if not ask away and i will see if i can help
thanks
rob
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

dms2871

Re: mini tubbing, cuting and locations.

#3 Post by dms2871 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:29 pm

chpcamaro wrote:well the fun part will be the cut to form it to the outter quarters my self we dont cut into the frame we cut it flush to the frame rail and we fit 10.5 w on a 10 inch rims with 6.5 back spacing with a stock length rear end and we have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch on either side and you should have more without the factory out well. now alot of people cut the frame all the way to the inner side of the frame rail so it is your choice depending how wide your planning on going personel if i needed more traction i would go taller so then you would have to widen the wheel wells. but i think most will be able to reach there goals with easy with a 10.5 w.
i hope this helped if not ask away and i will see if i can help
thanks
rob
What size is the 10.5 tire? im looking for a street strip tire and what size rim for that tire. being im using the stock rear end. should i convert over to disk brakes on the rear before getting rims and tires?