Help with rear coil selection

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

bottlesempty

Help with rear coil selection

#1 Post by bottlesempty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:51 pm

For weight transfer in my 1980 Malibu do want stiffer cargo coils or replacement6cylinderrear coils what would be more effective the car doesn't have rear seats heavy loads not an issue what to buy? Cargo coils or6cylinder replacements Thanks in advance this site always helpful plus gives you opportunity to get advice from suspension guru like Dave Morgan

sc racing

Re: Help with rear coil selection

#2 Post by sc racing » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:45 pm

The heavy cargo coils will lift the rear and the car might have too much rake making it harder to transfer weight. I would use what you have until you get to the track and do some testing. If you have nothing at all rear drag springs are available maybe try those.

bottlesempty

#3 Post by bottlesempty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Ihave moroso trick springs that are larger diameter than factory switched totrick springs after ARb welded in for factory diameter spring causing interference need something same diameter as stock leaves me 2 choices cargo springs or standard 6 cylinder replacements would replacement spring be better choice than cargo coil?

want-a-be

#4 Post by want-a-be » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:19 am

imo,... go lighter and longer if possible. Only go heavier if the springs won't carry the load.

Don

mcdn81olds

#5 Post by mcdn81olds » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Rear coil-over springs will fit the stock gbody spring buckets.If it were mine I would try a 12" 130- 150lbs or a 14"110-130lbs, depending on weight and the ride height you want. Malibu racing .com has a suspension tech section also. There is some good info here:

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewf ... 2095b1de2f

TRZ motorsports sell adjustable height locators, with these and the right spring you can get it right where you want it. About halfway down the front page

http://www.trzmotorsports.com/

want-a-be

#6 Post by want-a-be » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 pm

mcdn81olds wrote:Rear coil-over springs will fit the stock gbody spring buckets.If it were mine I would try a 12" 130- 150lbs or a 14"110-130lbs, depending on weight and the ride height you want. Malibu racing .com has a suspension tech section also. There is some good info here:

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewf ... 2095b1de2f

TRZ motorsports sell adjustable height locators, with these and the right spring you can get it right where you want it. About halfway down the front page

http://www.trzmotorsports.com/
ditto....

Dave Morgan

#7 Post by Dave Morgan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:30 pm

The easiest to find would be the Moroso Trick Springs, but you need to be careful for two reasons. First, this is dangerous work. If you can complete this job and retain all your fingers, you’ve done well. Also be aware of the instructions that come with the springs. They recommend you cut a coil off if the nose sits too high. So let’s think about this move for a minute. We performed this job to remove a pair of short, stiff springs and replace them with longer, softer springs. Does it make sense to do this, and then shorten the springs, which will also make them stiffer? Nope.
My suggestion is to install the Trick springs then let them take a set, which they will do eventually. If the car does sit nose high after installing the trick springs, take the car on some bumpy gravel road and drive on it for a while. The bumps will wear the springs out and they will settle faster. The problem I hear about is that guys cut the springs, get the ride height they want and then the springs settle, so now the car is nose down.
One more thing to think about… While you are jouncing on the car, you may find that when you push down on the car, the springs seem stiff so you may worry that you wasted time and money on this project. Instead, lift up on the front of the car and you’ll probably find that it raises pretty easily, which is what we want.
I hope this helps.
Dave
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos