suspenion setup?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

joe69Z

suspenion setup?

#1 Post by joe69Z » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:47 pm

:? :?: I'm building a 74 camaro for strip use only. Need a hot setup of springs, shocks and traction device to use. I have a 355ci sbc with 400hp,400 trans, 3500 stall and 4.56 gears. Chassis has been tied together, with roll cage, car has been lightened. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks joe69Z.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: suspenion setup?

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:37 pm

1st thing you should get -
Calvert Cal-Tracs http://www.calvertracing.com/ or SRD Assassin Bars http://www.srdparts.com

The next parts depend on how much money you want to put in it...

Calvert's Split Mono springs would be nice, but not absolutely necessary at your ET level.

A good shock - again depends on your funds. Many do well at that ET Level with the shocks Calvert sells. Other good brands, from low cost to expensive are Strange, Afco, Santhuff - if you're going to buy some good ones, make sure to get the double adjustable style. That's not likely needed at the HP level you're at now.

DOTracer

#3 Post by DOTracer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:08 am

These are worth consideration as well.

http://www.srdparts.com/index.php?page= ... t&Itemid=1

joe69Z

#4 Post by joe69Z » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:48 am

:thumb: John, Thanks for the reply! i have been looking at their products and they are going to be my choice, got to hook no matter what power you make. it's like any form of racing if you can't get it to the ground it's wasted power! I went to your site sweet nova, I might add you have slides on your rear springs is that the slide a link? Does this setup work? Again THANKS John!!!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:05 am

The rear spring slides aren't something that I would mess with until you're considering moving the springs inboard. When you do that, they will help lower the car some, and should take some bind out of the springs. I like the way they work, but there are people that have been plenty fast without them too, so I wouldn't call them absolutely necessary. Those rear spring mounts are typically used in dirt track racing, that's where they came from originally, but more and more are using them for Drag Racing.

"Slide-a-link" is Competition Engineering's knock off copy of the Cal-Trac bars, but it uses a rubber bushing in the lower bar. Yes, those can work great too, but most replace the rubber with a solid piece for racing.

joe69Z

#6 Post by joe69Z » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am

:thumb: :attack: Hey John, Went to SRD great products, I fell in love with their tube chassis not a bad price, our budget is not to shabby, over winter might consider their chassis and rear components and again Thanks! I believe in the rule of get it lite and to the ground , doesn't take a lot of motor even though more is better take baby steps!

joe69Z

#7 Post by joe69Z » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 am

John_Heard wrote:The rear spring slides aren't something that I would mess with until you're considering moving the springs inboard. When you do that, they will help lower the car some, and should take some bind out of the springs. I like the way they work, but there are people that have been plenty fast without them too, so I wouldn't call them absolutely necessary. Those rear spring mounts are typically used in dirt track racing, that's where they came from originally, but more and more are using them for Drag Racing.

"Slide-a-link" is Competition Engineering's knock off copy of the Cal-Trac bars, but it uses a rubber bushing in the lower bar. Yes, those can work great too, but most replace the rubber with a solid piece for racing.
Yea, I have a round track back ground also dirt and ashpalt with lare model stocks etc. It's all about chassis! :idea: