Calvert Wheelie Bar?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

supernova

Re: Calvert Wheelie Bar?

#16 Post by supernova » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I see how they work. Look at the leverage point and how it will push the axle to the ground as the car rotates and uses them.
Looks like a good idea.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#17 Post by John_Heard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Hmmmm 8-)

DOTracer

#18 Post by DOTracer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:59 am

These bars were designed to get around NHRA's ban of the previous design bars. Prior they were built with the lower bars attached to the housing and the uppers attached to the frame rails. This kept the bars from being driven down into the ground upon the suspension reaction at the release of the footbrake.

NHRA said you can no longer weld any attachment points to the body, so instead they allow the wheelie bar upper wheel to ride against the trunk floor with a reinforcing strip welded in. Seems dumb to be as the floor is still gonna flex even with the strip welded in. That and as I see it, quite limited height adjustment (1 1/2").

Gonna build a spring loaded single bar for mine over the winter. Have all the parts, just need to get the car assembled so I can get the top vs lower bar length correct for the proper setup height.

Dave Morgan

#19 Post by Dave Morgan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 pm

This looks similar, in concept, to the AJE bar. In that design, the upwards motion of the wheelie-bar wheel loads against the frame and pushes the front of the car downward. The AJE bars are pretty ugly-looking, but work well. This may be a prettier version of the same idea. I wouldn't be too concerned with the extra weight.
Dave
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos