Front end Question?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

joe69Z

Front end Question?

#1 Post by joe69Z » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:58 am

Just installed a set of Moroso drag springs on 78 Z/28 camaro, Question if I cut front springs for ride height will this close the huge gap between my fender and top of tire? Looks like jaws coming to attack! Have maybe front tires to short paper said they were stock ride height, Just dosen't have that fender to tire low stance I want, any ideas? thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scratch:

sc racing

Re: Front end Question?

#2 Post by sc racing » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 am

You need to weigh the front end and get some springs according to that. Total weight minus unsprung weight, give Santhstuff a call when you figure out the weight.

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 am

To answer your question about closing the gap yes it will.

On my Moog springs I cut 2 full coils off, but this was after I let the car settle for a little.

I have heard on the trick spings, it's best to cut 1/4 or 1/2 of a coil at a time.

I was always told 1 full coil = 1" and that worked for me on the Moog or factory type springs but
not sure how that theroy works on trick springs.

SC racing is right, the best way is to weigh the front end and work off of that.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

joe69Z

#4 Post by joe69Z » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks Guy's for all the information, Got springs cut lowered car 2" Need taller tires to fill fenders My Cousin has 25" front runners, He only gave $50 .00 never been mounted We'll make due for price Finished about everything but a few interior pcs, lexan windows cut just need to bolt in and Paint and get front end aligned and were ready for test and tune! Got to set timing and new plugs, This is his first Drag car he's like a child at Christmas, Been telling him to watch the guy's do their burnouts and most important watch that TREE! That's where it's won or lost! Again thanks to all who has given me Guidance and knowledge threw our Project 78' Z/28 Camaro, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope all has a great racing season, Joe Jones from Kinston N.C. :thumb: :D :attack: 1/8th mile at a TIME, Love some RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce69Camaro

#5 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:18 am

Hey Joe,

Did you do any cutting?

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Dave Morgan

#6 Post by Dave Morgan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:22 pm

My suggestion is to install the Trick springs then let them take a set, which they will do eventually. If the car does sit nose high after installing the trick springs, take the car on some bumpy gravel road and drive on it for a while. The bumps will wear the springs out and they will settle faster. The problem I hear about is that guys cut the springs, get the ride height they want and then the springs settle, so now the car is nose down.
One more thing to think about… While you are jouncing on the car, you may find that when you push down on the car, the springs seem stiff so you may worry that you wasted time and money on this project. Instead, lift up on the front of the car and you’ll probably find that it raises pretty easily, which is what we want.
I hope this helps.
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos

Craig W.

#7 Post by Craig W. » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 pm

I ended up cutting 2 coils off my Moroso front springs in order to get sufficient front end travel. Once I did that, the car started working well. The 2 coils dropped it 4". It was ridiculously high before, especially after I started taking weight off the front. Mine are the 213 lb/in springs. Obviously, the rate goes up when you cut them due to the shorter free length, but they still work very well.

Then once the car got fast enough to need slower rise, I had to go to a good front shock. The old 3-way CEs just wouldn't cut it anymore.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts