Let's talk bias and over all weight.

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

supernova

Re: Let's talk bias and over all weight.

#31 Post by supernova » Wed May 23, 2012 6:46 am

I really don't need another car. One is enough!!!!!!!! Looking at F/G parts the cost is not going to cost $5000,00. The F/G mod will cost about $2000.00. I can sell the doors and whole front end for a big hit on the cost. It just doesn't make any sense to have 2 cars or selling the one I have and starting over.

I really don't even have to do all F/G. I could just leave it like it is and slow the car down to class it will run at 3600lbs. 5.50-6.00 classes are just as fun and even cost less. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

71 chevy

#32 Post by 71 chevy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 am

supernova wrote:I really don't need another car. One is enough!!!!!!!! Looking at F/G parts the cost is not going to cost $5000,00. The F/G mod will cost about $2000.00. I can sell the doors and whole front end for a big hit on the cost. It just doesn't make any sense to have 2 cars or selling the one I have and starting over.

I really don't even have to do all F/G. I could just leave it like it is and slow the car down to class it will run at 3600lbs. 5.50-6.00 classes are just as fun and even cost less. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i wasnt suggesting you have two cars. One is enough!!!!!
im saying if you want to shave a ton of weight, it will be faster, and just as cheap to sell this one and get one that has all the weight saving features already done.plus, it will more than likely have a four link which adds tuning options, big asz tubs for greater choice in tire size, parachute mounts already done, and wheelie bars already done

from all ive read(sorry this is not first hand info) a fiberglass front end wont save you that much weight. you already have a fg hood, and shaved stock fenders are not that heavy(this i know for a fact). add in all the tube to mount the fiberglass front end and it is probably a wash. i dont see that mod saving you any more than 25 lbs

and i still say it is going to cost 5k to shave 500lbs off the car.

fg front end 1k
doors mounted 1k
lightweight front brakes 700
lexan 500
moly tube and misc for front end and radiator mount ???
back half sheet metal and the back half $$$
fg dash, decklid and rear bumper $700?

i would either leave it as is, or do it right and put that combo in something completely done.

supernova

#33 Post by supernova » Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 am

Hey big O,
How much do you think a f/g front end weighs???? The one I'm looking at is 22lbs. I bet my all metal one complete is 250lbs. Stock doors 90lbs, f/g doors 20lbs.
Where do you not get weight savings?
My friend Rob has the same f/g parts I'm looking at and his car with him in it weights over 300lbs less than mine.
I'm not trying to go run top sportsman or promod. Going to one of the cars your pointing out Limits what classes are out there to run. If you will look at just about all the classes that I want to run the rules say "NO CHASSIS CARS" and no back half cars most of the time....................................

My car is just fine on a diet. AND will go as fast as I want I to which is to run 5.30's. A little weight loss and it's there.
Last edited by supernova on Wed May 23, 2012 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#34 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 am

Again, I stress on one word, CAMARO..... lmao2:

Still waiting to hear about the F/G parts...
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

71 chevy

#35 Post by 71 chevy » Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 am

supernova wrote:Hey big O,
How much do you think a f/g front end weighs???? The one I'm looking at is 22lbs. .
250 ???

where do you see 250lbs coming off the front end?

you already have fiberglass hood and fenders so the only other pieces are fenders and radiator core support.

the fenders will save you about 25 lbs, and the core support will be a wash because the stock stamped one is not very heavy( I have one on my garage right now ) and by the time youve fabricated all the mouts for the front end and radiator you would not have saved anything.

so, im looking at 25lbs savings not 250, unless there is stuff Im not adding.

71 chevy

#36 Post by 71 chevy » Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 am

ive heard stock doors are 100lbs EACH so doors would be the biggest weight savings of all.

supernova

#37 Post by supernova » Wed May 23, 2012 10:37 am

O,
You've been around my car you know it's a all steel front end. There is no f/g fenders on my car and the fenders on the car have not had any cutting done to them, they are complete fenders. It also has a fully complete core support, fully complete grille and head light assembly's, complete filler panel and hardware, all lights and wiring. The only thing my front end does not have is inner fender wells. My front end is completely 100% complete and stock down to the turn, side, head lights and bumper brackets.
It now has a f/g bumper which is 20lbs lighter. It took 4 guys to pick up my front end and put it
on the car. I bet complete it's 250lbs or more.

A f/g front end which replaces the fenders, bumper, bumper brackets, grill, all lights, core support weights approx. 22- 35 lbs depinding on what brand.

HOW CAN IT NOT DROP WEIGHT?????????

I'm looking at front end, door, Lexan, deck lid, how can it not be a whole lot light!!!!!!!!

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

clutchdude

#38 Post by clutchdude » Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 pm

On my car going from the all steel front end to glass was exactly 250 lbs difference, including heater core, dash and stock wiring removed.

Lexan windshield was 10lbs savings.

Light weight wilwood front brakes 35 lbs savings from drums.

Craig W.

#39 Post by Craig W. » Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Lexan windshield only saved 10lbs...that disappoints me.

My fiberglass fenders saved dead on 30 lbs. Deck lid was dead on another 30.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

71 chevy

#40 Post by 71 chevy » Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 pm

supernova wrote:O,
You've been around my car you know it's a all steel front end. There is no f/g fenders on my car and the fenders on the car have not had any cutting done to them, they are complete fenders. It also has a fully complete core support, fully complete grille and head light assembly's, complete filler panel and hardware, all lights and wiring. The only thing my front end does not have is inner fender wells. My front end is completely 100% complete and stock down to the turn, side, head lights and bumper brackets.
It now has a f/g bumper which is 20lbs lighter. It took 4 guys to pick up my front end and put it
on the car. I bet complete it's 250lbs or more.

A f/g front end which replaces the fenders, bumper, bumper brackets, grill, all lights, core support weights approx. 22- 35 lbs depinding on what brand.

HOW CAN IT NOT DROP WEIGHT?????????

I'm looking at front end, door, Lexan, deck lid, how can it not be a whole lot light!!!!!!!!
i forgot about the headlights and grill, but you are still not dropping that much.
25-25 lbs does not include the mount for the radiator . you have to fab that. and it also does not include mounting the front end itself

between hood and brackets and hinges, inner fenders, and fiberglass bumper, youve already dropped over 100lbs off the front. fe will remove lights , fender and core support. lights are maybe 4lbs, fenders about 30, and core support about 20, so 50 more lbs you can drop.

im not saying dont do it the front end, im saying you will see a much bigger drop putting in fiberglass doors, and the cost would be less, so start there.

as far as total weight, i expect you can drop about 500lbs total without really trying

Bruce69Camaro

#41 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 am

I think what 71 Chevy is trying to show you, that even though you remove metal from the front end of your car, your going to need to put metal back in, to mount the new fiberglass parts, so the weight savings might not be a great as you think.

I can see by replacing those bigs doors with F/G doors, would be a bigger savings then over the front end. It's not going to take much to mount two doors verses what it's going to take to mount a front end and all the components that go with that.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#42 Post by John_Heard » Thu May 24, 2012 6:35 am

Before buying some doors, better look at some if you haven't already. I don't care for how the window frames are made, no way to make them look anywhere near stock doors.

supernova

#43 Post by supernova » Thu May 24, 2012 7:15 am

Ok I'm done with this conversation.
Point

F/G front end complete: 22lbs to 35lbs.......
One striped fender I weighed last night: 44 lbs........

Wow! One fender weighs twice as much as the whole f/g front end. Hmmmmmm no weight saving with a one peace f/g End. I beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!! Hell just the bumper was a 20 lb savings.

Like I said, I'M DONE WITH THIS CONERSATION!!!!!!!!!!!

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#44 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 am

No your not!!!!!

Again, buy a Camaro and you wouldn't have these problems... :smt003

Give it any thoughts on Allen's stuff?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#45 Post by John_Heard » Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 am

supernova wrote:Ok I'm done with this conversation.
Point

F/G front end complete: 22lbs to 35lbs.......
One striped fender I weighed last night: 44 lbs........

Wow! One fender weighs twice as much as the whole f/g front end. Hmmmmmm no weight saving with a one peace f/g End. I beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!! Hell just the bumper was a 20 lb savings.

Like I said, I'M DONE WITH THIS CONERSATION!!!!!!!!!!!
lol - don't you go runnin off in a huff..

If you do go with the FG front end, get a total weight on it would ya? I'm real curious how much heavier I am with mine. I'm gonna guess we're well under 100 lbs (steel fenders/glass hood) but I haven't weighed it yet.