Let's talk bias and over all weight.

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Bruce69Camaro

Re: Let's talk bias and over all weight.

#46 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 am

John,

I talked to the guy that made my hood and he said his f/g front ends for a 72 Nova weighs 27lbs.

Is that what you wanted to know????
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#47 Post by John_Heard » Thu May 24, 2012 7:55 am

Yes and no, really just curious as we can't run glass fenders. I am wondering how far off total weight between my front end and a finished glass one. That glass one will need a support structure, lights, etc.

supernova

#48 Post by supernova » Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 am

I'v talked to 3 f/g shops. One peace front ends weigh 22-35 lbs. my buddy with a top sportsman car has 6 lbs of frame work to hold his front end on the car. That should give you a idea how much it should weigh.

Some have said there is not much savings in changing to f/g. I'v weigh some parts that are all metal and found that there will be a huge savings over what my all metal front end weighs.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

71 chevy

#49 Post by 71 chevy » Thu May 24, 2012 8:04 am

supernova wrote:Ok I'm done with this conversation.
Point

F/G front end complete: 22lbs to 35lbs.......
One striped fender I weighed last night: 44 lbs........

Wow! One fender weighs twice as much as the whole f/g front end. Hmmmmmm no weight saving with a one peace f/g End. I beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!! Hell just the bumper was a 20 lb savings.

Like I said, I'M DONE WITH THIS CONERSATION!!!!!!!!!!!

that is one HELL of a fender. 44lbs? wow. when i took mine of the may have been 25 lbs each. how did you weigh it??

cos knowing you you probably hefted it and said " that right there feels like 43-44 lbs to me" :D

im kidding of course but no way my fenders weigh 44 lbs each

71 chevy

#50 Post by 71 chevy » Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 am

supernova wrote:I'v talked to 3 f/g shops. One peace front ends weigh 22-35 lbs. my buddy with a top sportsman car has 6 lbs of frame work to hold his front end on the car. That should give you a idea how much it should weigh.

Some have said there is not much savings in changing to f/g. I'v weigh some parts that are all metal and found that there will be a huge savings over what my all metal front end weighs.
so how much weight do you think you'll save from the way it sits right now, to when you have the FG front end on there?

Bruce69Camaro

#51 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 am

supernova wrote:Some have said there is not much savings in changing to f/g. I'v weigh some parts that are all metal and found that there will be a huge savings over what my all metal front end weighs.
Your forgetting, to match the rest of the car, your going to need about a 100lbs. of primer..... :smt005 :smt005 :nutkick:
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

71 chevy

#52 Post by 71 chevy » Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 am

i personally decided not to take any more weight out of my car.

for one, im a broke joke, and as one crosses past that 1000hp mark, it makes less and less of a difference,plus im turbo charged so i can turn up the boost some more to compensate.

look at this chart(youve seen it before)
http://www.rehermorrison.com/PdfFiles/S ... sHP_ET.pdf

at the 1280 hp mark, dropping 500lbs , from 3500 down to 3000 is good for only .24 in ET

71 chevy

#53 Post by 71 chevy » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:
supernova wrote:Some have said there is not much savings in changing to f/g. I'v weigh some parts that are all metal and found that there will be a huge savings over what my all metal front end weighs.
Your forgetting, to match the rest of the car, your going to need about a 100lbs. of primer..... :smt005 :smt005 :nutkick:
ooooooooooooooh. you are asking to get bop: bop: :D

Bruce69Camaro

#54 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

Your right, I probably just got nixxed off of his Christmas card list.....

supernova

#55 Post by supernova » Thu May 24, 2012 8:20 am

Did you guy's know that a nova grill weighs 6 lbs. I have a extra one that I weighed last night. No brackets, no mounting hardware, no SS badge just the metal grill.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

supernova

#56 Post by supernova » Thu May 24, 2012 8:32 am

71 chevy wrote:i personally decided not to take any more weight out of my car.

for one, im a broke joke, and as one crosses past that 1000hp mark, it makes less and less of a difference,plus im turbo charged so i can turn up the boost some more to compensate.

at the 1280 hp mark, dropping 500lbs , from 3500 down to 3000 is good for only .24 in ET
I wouldn't take that chart as the bible, it's a generalization. And your not interested in picking up over 2 1/2 tens by losing weight? That would put my car right where I want it. Lose weight and go faster that's not the concept? I don't know anyone that doesn't want there car to pick up 2 1/2 tens. Well maybe a class bracket racer which I'm not!

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

71 chevy

#57 Post by 71 chevy » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 am

supernova wrote:
71 chevy wrote:i personally decided not to take any more weight out of my car.

I wouldn't take that chart as the bible, it's a generalization. And your not interested in picking up over 2 1/2 tens by losing weight? That would put my car right where I want it. Lose weight and go faster that's not the concept? I don't know anyone that doesn't want there car to pick up 2 1/2 tens. Well maybe a class bracket racer which I'm not!

hehe, you called reher morrison's chart a generalization. 40 years of racing and engine building experience and i would say its a pretty good generalization.

i would like to pick up .24, but i would rather not spend 5k on weight reduction doing it.

actually, tuning, would put your car right where you want it. there is still a lot of ET on the table as it is.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#58 Post by John_Heard » Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am

It is a generalization, no doubt. Ball park yeah, but don't go betting on that chart.

Those Grills are heavy. Add another 1lb of aluminum for a block off plate and you'll be frowning even more..

supernova

#59 Post by supernova » Thu May 24, 2012 10:21 am

Big O,
I bet I spend less than half of what you say it will cost to change to f/g. I know I'v priced everything!

As far as "THE CHART", every company out there that has a chart does not match any body else's chart. Sure a power setting should run that et but there are way to many veriables in car set ups to say that chart is what ones car will run at that power level. The same motor in 5 different car will run 5 different et's at a given weight. There are too many veriables..........

Yes there is more tuning to be done with my car. That said you work on yours and I will work on mine. At the end of the day you can be happy with your car and I can be happy mine. Ok? If that's not good enough than we can line'em up and see who's is fastest!!! Hey wait a minute yor car is lighter, you have bigger tires, you have twin turbos, your is on meth, that's not fair.

You see the deal is everyone thinks they know what's best for MY car and that just isn't true. You didn't even know it has metal fenders on it did you?

This thread has got way off topic! Feels like a YellowBullet thread.

I know what my car is and know what I want to do to make it faster. That's all that matters

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#60 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu May 24, 2012 10:36 am

supernova wrote:I know what my car is and know what I want to do to make it faster. That's all that matters
And that is to sell it and buy a CAMARO!!!!! :smt005

Your finally seeing the light buddy.

Let me know how you make out with Allen, and if you call him, tell him Bruce from PA sent you.