1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Message
Author
raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#166 Post by raffaplymouth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 am

raffaplymouth wrote:
sc68z28 wrote:Yes, 4.10 is good...
4.56 just a little better, but probably NOT a big deal.

---Bill.
Guys ... First race is close to 2 month ...this year my goal is 9,90 .. I have a idea to change trasmission from manual to automatic 3 speed torqueflite .. What do u think ? Jerico transmission is too expensive ! ... I want my 60 ft lowered ... Now is 1,65 sec ...

Bill ... how much Jerico DR4 ?? clutch and all need for install ?? i dont understand if when you shift push the clutch or not ??
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

User avatar
sc68z28
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: Riverside California

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#167 Post by sc68z28 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 pm

raffaplymouth wrote: Bill ... how much Jerico DR4 ?? clutch and all need for install ?? i dont understand if when you shift push the clutch or not ??
The DR4 is about $4000. An adjusable clutch $1500. to $2000.+

The DR4 clutch assist Jerico can be shifted without using the clutch, IF you have a well tuned adjustable clutch.
Jerico does NOT recommend shifting without the clutch.

---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159
Best 60' vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w

raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#168 Post by raffaplymouth » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:51 am

sc68z28 wrote:
raffaplymouth wrote: Bill ... how much Jerico DR4 ?? clutch and all need for install ?? i dont understand if when you shift push the clutch or not ??
The DR4 is about $4000. An adjusable clutch $1500. to $2000.+

The DR4 clutch assist Jerico can be shifted without using the clutch, IF you have a well tuned adjustable clutch.
Jerico does NOT recommend shifting without the clutch.

---Bill.
look like less expensive a automatic transmission conversion .... wich better ET with auto or jerico ? im very undecide .... or no change the transmission and change only rear leaf from multi to monoleaf :attack: :attack:
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

User avatar
John_Heard
Site Admin
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 11:20 am
Location: Resume Speed, Kansas
Contact:

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#169 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 am

Manual & Clutch is cool and fun to drive, but the Automatics have totally taken over small tire racing.

One of the new 2 speed TH400's that let you launch in 2nd would be the ticket for limited traction, but don't know if there is a way to hook it to your engine.

raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#170 Post by raffaplymouth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:25 pm

John_Heard wrote:Manual & Clutch is cool and fun to drive, but the Automatics have totally taken over small tire racing.

One of the new 2 speed TH400's that let you launch in 2nd would be the ticket for limited traction, but don't know if there is a way to hook it to your engine.
From 1 year this car is converted to automatic transmission 727 ..best ET is 10,33 with 1,56 60 ft ! My goal is 9,90 !!
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

User avatar
clutchdude
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 pm
Location: Lancaster CA.

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#171 Post by clutchdude » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:02 pm

John the only reason the automatics have taken over is because the rules have dictated it.

Get rid of the weight penalty's for running a manual trans and see how many run a automatic.

Raffa going to the auto trans in your car may make it quicker than the manual trans setup you used to have in your car.

User avatar
John_Heard
Site Admin
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 11:20 am
Location: Resume Speed, Kansas
Contact:

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#172 Post by John_Heard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Dunno about that, the entire ADRL Pro Extreme Class now runs automatics (for a few years now), no weight penalties for manual. Even some of the NHRA Top Alcohol Funny Car have switched. Converter technology has come a LONG way.

User avatar
clutchdude
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 pm
Location: Lancaster CA.

Re: 1970 Cuda 4 speed 60 ft problem

#173 Post by clutchdude » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:39 pm

I will agree with you on a car at that level. I was thinking more along the lines of a average quick door car

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest