Side to side movement on 4 link Question

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Post Reply
Message
Author
pdmracing
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 am

Side to side movement on 4 link Question

#1 Post by pdmracing » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Car back halved 4 link, coil overs

With the car on jack stands , rear end hanging, how much side to side movement is acceptable?

DOTracer
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:12 pm
Location: Westminster, MD

Re: Side to side movement on 4 link Question

#2 Post by DOTracer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 am

pdmracing wrote:Car back halved 4 link, coil overs

With the car on jack stands , rear end hanging, how much side to side movement is acceptable?
Should not be any, zero if the housing centering device is in good working condition.

Lower HP stuff we use a simple diagonal link, anything with any power gets an X-link.

pdmracing
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Side to side movement on 4 link Question

#3 Post by pdmracing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm

DOTracer wrote:
pdmracing wrote:Car back halved 4 link, coil overs

With the car on jack stands , rear end hanging, how much side to side movement is acceptable?
Should not be any, zero if the housing centering device is in good working condition.

Lower HP stuff we use a simple diagonal link, anything with any power gets an X-link.

Thank you

When tightening the diagonal link, do I have to resquare the rear?

DOTracer
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:12 pm
Location: Westminster, MD

Re: Side to side movement on 4 link Question

#4 Post by DOTracer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 pm

pdmracing wrote:
DOTracer wrote:
pdmracing wrote:Car back halved 4 link, coil overs

With the car on jack stands , rear end hanging, how much side to side movement is acceptable?
Should not be any, zero if the housing centering device is in good working condition.

Lower HP stuff we use a simple diagonal link, anything with any power gets an X-link.

Thank you

When tightening the diagonal link, do I have to resquare the rear?
If the rear was square before, it should stay that way, just need to center the housing on the chassis centerline.

Take a close look for loose bolts and or worn out rod ends.

pdmracing
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Side to side movement on 4 link Question

#5 Post by pdmracing » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 am

almost slapped the wall with it on friday, Hooked left off the brake. Car had been going right since I bought it. I only had 2 runs on test n tune Friday. Came in early on race day. Changed both shocks back to baseline settings and that took care of that. It felt weierd because it never went straight before but picked up a tenth.
I am glad I decided to mess with the shocks first instead of the negative preload

Thanks for the help

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests