S&W 4 Link kit

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

sebgasseau

S&W 4 Link kit

#1 Post by sebgasseau » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Hey guys, i am looking at buying a 4 link kit from s&w race cars for my 1970 nova. I was wondering if anybody here ever installed them or delt with them. I am canadian and i know its gonna be expensive to ship over here but if the product is as good as i think it is, i don't have a problem to pay for shipping and custom. How hard is it to installed? Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Here's the link for the kit.

http://www.swracecars.com/store/Pro-Ser ... 0-515.aspx

Bruce69Camaro

Re: S&W 4 Link kit

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 am

I've been friends with the guys down at S&W for years and even have a ladder bar setup in my Camaro.

I really like their porducts and have had good luck with their stuff and great customer support.

If I can be of some help, let me know.

Didn't know if you knew this, but they also have a front end kit for you car as well.

HookDaddy, whom just retired from S&W is a member on here and he could answer any question you have. I just sent him a message so hopefully he will respond.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Hookdaddy

#3 Post by Hookdaddy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

I got your message Bruce - you know I'm always willing to help.

Installation of any back half kit requires patience and a little more than the average fab skills. The welded frame section is pretty easy. We do all the hard work. If you follow the instructions ( and I think ours are extremely thorough) you'll be fine. But as I told Bruce when he got his "if at any time you're not sure of a step - STOP - and call us". I know our tech support is the best in the business. Installing the floor kit and wheel tubs can be the most challenging part as Bruce can tell you. But he did it right, made some cardboard patterns for the tricky cuts and his car came out looking like and expert install.

You're right about shipping into Canada it can be expensive but S&W works continously with FEDEX and various freight companys to get you the best possible rate.

Go with S&W - you won't regret it.

Call them toll free at 800-523-3353 - talk to Tom (the sales manager) @ ext 126 or Randy at ext 115 - Tell them I sent you.
Don Scholl
S&W Race Cars - retired
145H Super Comp
145Y Stock Eliminator & ET Brackets

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 am

And look, even after the thousands of phone calls and emails I made to Don, he still admits to knowing me..... :smt003 (thanks Don for the reply)

Like I said, if I can be of some help, please send me a message.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

sebgasseau

#5 Post by sebgasseau » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Wow!! Thanks guys. Your inputs are very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot Bruce for contacting Hookdaddy for me. I hope i'll be able to do my project just as clean as your.

Hookdaddy, thank you very much for all the info you gave me. I was very confident with my decision of going with S&W for the parts. I think i'll order a roll cage at the same time. I don't have a lot of fab skills but i have time and passion so i'll learn by trial and error. I was thinking about tack welding the assembly in place and have a professional welder finishing the job. Once i know the car is straight and true, then i'll start playing with metal sheet and see how strong is my patience. :smt005

I give myself a 4 to 5 years window to finish my project. I am in the Royal Canadian Air Force and we are transferred this summer so right now i have to deal with selling the house and buying another at the next base. I'll post pictures of my nova as soon as i can so you guys can see the extent of work needed.

This is what i would like the end product to look like. Some of you might think its a sin but i think its pretty neat and something you dont see often.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VC ... eLFMfYsRwg

By the way, excuse my english, i'm french canadian.

Cheers boys

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:02 am

To be truthfully honest, my 69 Camaro was my first big project. I worked in a body shop so I had that experience and my current job has me doing sheet-metal fabrication, plus welding, but my welding wasn't up to my liking, so I did what you stated, I tacked everything up and had a friend, whom welds for a living come by and finish weld everything.

Just take your time, level things, square things and don't be afraid to ask for help and the famous saying, check your measurements twice and cut once, still stands true.

Good luck with your project and be safe at your job :thumb:

Hookdaddy

#7 Post by Hookdaddy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm

One the the biggest mistake a first time builder makes is rushing the disassembly and the removal of the stock rear floor plan! Take your time - do it neatly! You won't believe how much easier it is to put the new stuff in when you do a neat, clean job necutting out the floor.

and 4-5 years build time - Bruce can relate :smt005 :roll:
Don Scholl
S&W Race Cars - retired
145H Super Comp

sebgasseau

#8 Post by sebgasseau » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Any pointer on how to remove the floor pan and the trunk. i haven't touch anything yet. I think i'll probably have to replace both quarter panels. Not sure yet but the major factor that made me want to go with the 4 link is that one of the frame rail was rework and now sits 2 to 3 inches higher than the other one. I should've check that when i bought the car but i guess we learn with experience.

sebgasseau

#9 Post by sebgasseau » Sun May 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Anything?

Bruce69Camaro

#10 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 am

Sorry, didn't see this.

Let me ask you this, are you referring to what tools I used to cut out the flooring?

If so, I used a plasma cutter, a cutoff tool and an angle grinder.

Hookdaddy

#11 Post by Hookdaddy » Tue May 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Sorry too - I've been getting my car ready and prepping my new trailer. Bruce got it tho.
Don Scholl
S&W Race Cars - retired
145H Super Comp