Anyone know the rates for rear chevelle moroso trick springs

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

evil16v

Anyone know the rates for rear chevelle moroso trick springs

#1 Post by evil16v » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:52 pm

A local a racer has a similar car/combo as mine (70 GS) and had good suspension recipe. Part of that was Moroso trick springs all around. but as he verified, they sag. I was wondering if anyone new what the left and right side, rear, rates were for those, and maybe i could order a better spring from Santhuff in the same rate. Moroso only tells the rate for the fronts, not the rears. I still need to scale my car so i can verify which fronts.
lower/mid, end adjustable front/rear shock advise would be helpful too.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

evil16v

Re: Anyone know the rates for rear chevelle moroso trick spr

#2 Post by evil16v » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Found a post about G body Trick springs being #130 ish... but still no solid data on the A body pieces.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

Mike Peters

#3 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:51 pm

Put the car on some corner scales and get the actual weights so you can buy the correct spring rate for your needs. AFCO offers several rates of springs and I would bet they have a set for you. Are you talking about the Moroso rear springs that have different rates for each side? Those make for a very ill-handling car at the top end if you need to hit the brakes hard for some reason. Put a sway bar on it instead if you're trying to control the roll rotation of the car during launch.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

evil16v

#4 Post by evil16v » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Mike Peters wrote:Put the car on some corner scales and get the actual weights so you can buy the correct spring rate for your needs. AFCO offers several rates of springs and I would bet they have a set for you. Are you talking about the Moroso rear springs that have different rates for each side? Those make for a very ill-handling car at the top end if you need to hit the brakes hard for some reason. Put a sway bar on it instead if you're trying to control the roll rotation of the car during launch.
Thanks Mike...

I have scales, but car is in storage till i get the kid's wrecked Tahoe out of the way. Will scale first opportunity. Trying to figure out what my options are. Are the Afcos very expensive? I knew the Santhuffs were bit more... but i don't mind, if i don't have to buy the spring again, as everyone indicates with the morosos.

The morosos are being used as point of reference from a car that worked very well with the same car and a very similar combo/ to mine. I should ask him if he had issues with the offset spring rates and stability.

Afcos spring rates confuse me.... i figured i was looking for spring rates below 200#/in in the rear and 200#/in and somewhat above for the front. afcos are either way stiffer or not represented in #/inch. Any insight on that? I attached the part of the afco page.

I do have a rear sway bare that was a piece that came stock with the Stage 1 stuff. I assume it is the same as the other A-body cousins. It's going back on when i put in new bushings, and original refurbished lower boxed control arms back in. Plan on Umi adjustible uppers when i get the coin.
Attachments
AFCO.jpg
Rob

Mike Peters

#5 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Rob, I think you're looking at the wrong rear spring for the GM A-bodies. I assume you're looking for a replacement spring for the factory configuration. If so, you'll want the 5.5" X 12" spring which comes in 150, 175, 200, etc..... Depending on car weight, the 150 or 175 might be in the ball park. We'll have to determine what spring rate you need once the car is scaled but, you are correct in that AFCO, as well as other springs, are rated at lbs per inch.

evil16v

#6 Post by evil16v » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Ok Looked it up by dimensions... Much better now. numbers are what i was expecting. Thanks for the dimensions Mike! Kinda sucks not having my car here to look at and measure. It's at the Inlaws... Kinda like Muscle car jail :smt100 . Now i have some part numbers to check price/availability on.

Gotta be careful with money.. The project is moving again, but slowly due to trickle of money. I gotta make sure i get the right stuff the first time... and on a good deal. the car is running great but needs alot... tires, wheels, axles, springs, bushings, shocks...

Got a set of urithane bushings I'm trying to win on ebay too...
Rob

evil16v

#7 Post by evil16v » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:08 pm

wow... summit has them for $55 a copy... not bad.
Rob

evil16v

#8 Post by evil16v » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Mike, do you know the front dimensions as well?

Just seeing the stock size for the 64-72 chevelle 8x9.5" fronts as the picture a couple posts ago, with enormous spring rates. Are the ones I want for storing more energy, longer by chance? I see some 5x11's in the 200# range...but they are listed for the rear.
Rob

Mike Peters

#9 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:33 pm

evil16v wrote:Mike, do you know the front dimensions as well?

Just seeing the stock size for the 64-72 chevelle 8x9.5" fronts as the picture a couple posts ago, with enormous spring rates. Are the ones I want for storing more energy, longer by chance? I see some 5x11's in the 200# range...but they are listed for the rear.
I don't have factory springs on my Chevelle but, am guessing the front springs are 5" diameter. Chevelles, Novas, and even .....GASP...Camaros all use the same diameter spring. Spring rate and height are the variables. In case you didn't know this, and I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence but, we can go back to spring rate being measured at lbs per inch. A spring with a 100# spring rate gets compressed 1" for every 100 lbs of load. The 100# spring will support 300# at 3" of compression. That 3" compression is the stored energy that you may or may not be seeking. However, you would have to be aware of possible coil bind or stack where the coils make contact if compressed too far. I think it wise to get the car weight before making decisions on your springs. Even then, it can still be somewhat of a guessing game to get the car to sit at desired ride height and get the desired reaction from the spring. Speedway Motors deals primarily in dirt track racing but, has several choices in spring brands if you want to try something besides the Moroso brand. I see one brand called Tru-Coil which is somewhat cheaper than the AFCO brand. However, sometimes cheaper springs lose their tension so it's nice to buy ones that have a guarantee and AFCO's have a guarantee not to lose more than 2% of their free standing height or they will be replaced. If you're going with the taller lighter rate springs, be prepared for a wrestling match to get them installed.

Hope this helps.

evil16v

#10 Post by evil16v » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:11 pm

Mike, thanks again... I kinda suspected that was how the length and rate was playing into it. I was just surprised at some of the super stiff springs afco listed, and thought, naaawww... I'm missing something. Apparently not. Used to play with some auto cross stuff, so I'm familiar with what spring rates do and what adjustible shocks do. that would also be the reason i already have scales (actually decent bathroom scales with multipliers... gets the job done). This is still a whole new ballgame with heavier car and different function. never had to toss so much weight to the rear of the car.

Right now I'm doing homework. No hard decisions to made until i get the car outta jail and on the scales. As you alluded to...the key is knowing what the weight distribution is going to to translate to... for me, my weight, my combo, tires... etc... I'm never afraid to ask questions because somebody may have a piece of the puzzle. if i see somebody doing something similar, then i know i am in the ball park. I know i have some trial and error ahead, but i don't want a pile of parts sitting in the corner either.

If it turns out Afco has what i need for my situation, I'd like to go with them... I like their pricing and guarantee. far as shocks go... little pricy for my 11 sec street/strip set up. I don't want to go cheap because feel i need adjust-ability, to make the car move efficiently.
Rob