front and rear drag shocks

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Post Reply
Message
Author
PANDER
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

front and rear drag shocks

#1 Post by PANDER » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:41 pm

I am completely on the fence as far as what shocks to use on my 68 Camaro front and rear stock location with big block, I had comp eng on the rears but there old now, and had some crap gas a just on the front, im gearing this thing up and going plenty faster so im looking for something that will handle and hold the power, any Input from what y'all are having success with and would suggest for something running around low 10s to high 9s will be appreciated thanks,

bracketchev1221
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm
Location: Mountville PA

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#2 Post by bracketchev1221 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:12 pm

I have the Koni Spa-1 shocks in the front of mine now. I ran the comp engineering shocks on mine into the 10.30's. But from what i've heard the calvert shocks are good for the camaro and novas.

PANDER
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#3 Post by PANDER » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:41 pm

yea they don't make spa1 koni for the Camaro anymore, but you heard good things about calvert shocks? what about strange shocks ray I got some axles from them and they were talking about there single adjust shocks you ever heard anything about them? thanks

bracketchev1221
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm
Location: Mountville PA

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#4 Post by bracketchev1221 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:42 pm

I have never used their stock type shocks but I have the single adjustable coil over shocks in the back of the chevelle now.

PANDER
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#5 Post by PANDER » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:40 pm

That's what I was planning on using single adjust shock for the back, so you have strange coil over in the back how do you like them?

User avatar
ytnova
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 am
Location: orlando, florida/ under a hood
Contact:

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#6 Post by ytnova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 am

I know you said you are only going high 9's to low 10's, but if you ultimate goal is to go faster, do not spend your money twice, buy a good double adjustable now, front and rear. With that being said, I had good luck with rancho's in the rear and Comp engineerings in the front until the high nines. The rancho's are what calvert use to use before having his own house brand. I eventually had to pony up for some better shocks and went with Afco's, money well spent.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

User avatar
wikd69
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 pm
Location: Rocklin, CA
Contact:

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#7 Post by wikd69 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm running single adjustable coil-overs both front and rear on mine and they seem to meet the need. I don't know if the setup I have would meet the need if I added a lot more hp to the mix, but they work well for now.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

PANDER
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#8 Post by PANDER » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:08 pm

you have the strange single adjust shock wikd69? I just cant see forking out a $1000 on shocks for my set up I just don't think that extra adjustment would be that crucial but then again im the one asking for advise what do I know.

PANDER
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#9 Post by PANDER » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm

ytnova wrote:I know you said you are only going high 9's to low 10's, but if you ultimate goal is to go faster, do not spend your money twice, buy a good double adjustable now, front and rear. With that being said, I had good luck with rancho's in the rear and Comp engineerings in the front until the high nines. The rancho's are what calvert use to use before having his own house brand. I eventually had to pony up for some better shocks and went with Afco's, money well spent.
I appreciate the hint on going with double adjustment shocks ytnova but do they really make that much of a difference? as you know they are going for quite a shiny penny.

User avatar
wikd69
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 pm
Location: Rocklin, CA
Contact:

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#10 Post by wikd69 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:18 am

PANDER wrote:you have the strange single adjust shock wikd69? I just cant see forking out a $1000 on shocks for my set up I just don't think that extra adjustment would be that crucial but then again im the one asking for advise what do I know.
Mine aren't made by strange. As I recall (it's been awhile) the rears are Varishocks. The fronts are a different brand, one of the other major flavors. You'd think I could remember but my brain is getting foggy.

What sort of upper a-arms are you running ? Are they stock ? If so, you'll prolly want to install some bolts in them to act as limiters. Pretty cheap and very effective. I'm using a large bolt in the stock a-arm center hole mounted upside down, held in place with two nuts to lock them in place. Simple, inexpensive and it really helps to keep the front end from traveling too far at launch.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

User avatar
ytnova
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 am
Location: orlando, florida/ under a hood
Contact:

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#11 Post by ytnova » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 am

You can get away with a single's to a point, but that point varies with every car. Examples would be how fast the car is, weight, rear gear, how hard you hit the tire and ultimately how much power you make. I would say a heavier car with a bbc, a th400, a transbrake and a small tire would need doubles sooner than a sbc, powerglide, bigger tire car would even if they are both trying to run the same et. My suggestion was simply if you plan on running faster than your current goal of high nine's in the future, and you are buying shocks, do not spend your money twice like myself. As for are they worth it, well, a set of double adjustable big gun afco's in the rear of my car were the difference between me running 9.20's/9.40's inconsistanly and running 8.80's consistanly with no other changes. Realize the shocks themselves did not make the car faster, but they allowed me to leave at higher percentage on the progressive nitrous controler and ramp it in sooner and gave me a good baseline from which I could tune from. I totally understand your point about the cost, I tried everything not to spend the money as well, and in the end, I spent way more than just buying them from the beginning. I am not saying you MUST buy them in order for your car to work, I am saying that I did not listen to the guys who told me to buy them if I want to go that fast and wished I would have.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

PANDER
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#12 Post by PANDER » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

ytnova wrote:You can get away with a single's to a point, but that point varies with every car. Examples would be how fast the car is, weight, rear gear, how hard you hit the tire and ultimately how much power you make. I would say a heavier car with a bbc, a th400, a transbrake and a small tire would need doubles sooner than a sbc, powerglide, bigger tire car would even if they are both trying to run the same et. My suggestion was simply if you plan on running faster than your current goal of high nine's in the future, and you are buying shocks, do not spend your money twice like myself. As for are they worth it, well, a set of double adjustable big gun afco's in the rear of my car were the difference between me running 9.20's/9.40's inconsistanly and running 8.80's consistanly with no other changes. Realize the shocks themselves did not make the car faster, but they allowed me to leave at higher percentage on the progressive nitrous controler and ramp it in sooner and gave me a good baseline from which I could tune from. I totally understand your point about the cost, I tried everything not to spend the money as well, and in the end, I spent way more than just buying them from the beginning. I am not saying you MUST buy them in order for your car to work, I am saying that I did not listen to the guys who told me to buy them if I want to go that fast and wished I would have.
that's some good info I appreciate that insight, I think im going to go ahead and get doubles for the back thanks you for all the help gentlemen. I meant to ask ytnova is yours a leaf spring car or ladder bar ect?

User avatar
ytnova
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 am
Location: orlando, florida/ under a hood
Contact:

Re: front and rear drag shocks

#13 Post by ytnova » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:48 pm

The car has changed over the years, started with a iron headed 396, th400, 4.10's on 275/60/15. Changed motors to a 525bbc, glide, 3.73, still on 275's. I would of liked to take a little more gear out if the I had still had that combo in it. Now has a 5.3ls, th400, 3.73, and still on the 275's. The car has always had leaf springs and I went from traction bars to caltracs @2001. I added all of the TRZ suspension(uppers, lower, rack, etc) and light weight 4 wheel disc brakes in the last five to six years.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest