Need help with Nova 4 link launch

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

71 Nova

Need help with Nova 4 link launch

#1 Post by 71 Nova » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:06 pm

My 69 Nova has a 4 link rear suspension, which is all new to me. We took it out to the track a little while back and had a little trouble hooking up as the day wore on. The wheelie bars are hitting the ground almost immediately and it seems the car is squatting a bit. Take a look at these launch videos from the day and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
69 Nova 408 SBC
Best to date: 10.241 @ 128.36 mph 1.404 60ft.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Need help with Nova 4 link launch

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 am

Kinda hard to see real good on those poor quality videos, but looks like the wheelie bars are close to the ground to start with. The squat you're seeing is the tire wrapping up at the hit best I can tell. Real soft sidewall big slick is going to drop quite a bit at the hit.

Can you raise the wheelie bars up some - or just take them off and get better video?

71 Nova

Re: Need help with Nova 4 link launch

#3 Post by 71 Nova » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:40 pm

John_Heard wrote: "Kinda hard to see real good on those poor quality videos, but looks like the wheelie bars are close to the ground to start with. The squat you're seeing is the tire wrapping up at the hit best I can tell. Real soft sidewall big slick is going to drop quite a bit at the hit.

Can you raise the wheelie bars up some - or just take them off and get better video?"
Sorry about the videos, they were taken by some friends. We'll do better next time. The wheelie bars were about 6" off the ground, are adjustable and can be raised or removed. It seems they are hitting too hard and unloading the tires.
69 Nova 408 SBC
Best to date: 10.241 @ 128.36 mph 1.404 60ft.