lowering front of car?

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

mikeT

lowering front of car?

#1 Post by mikeT » Mon May 26, 2014 9:20 pm

I have a tube chassis 4 link car, A arm front end . chassis works well, I would like to drop the front end down about 1 inch. I can adjust the spring seats lower on the shocks to do it, My question is will this mess up the 4 link settings? I dont want to take a car that hooks good and turn it into one that doesn't any more ?

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: lowering front of car?

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu May 29, 2014 8:10 am

Sure it's going to alter the geometry slightly. Most likely not enough that you would see any effect.

supernova

Re: lowering front of car?

#3 Post by supernova » Fri May 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Hey Mike,
I have lots of experience with a buddies top sportsman car and raising, lowering it. You will be surprised at how much lowering the front 1" will change the center of gravity which ultimately will change where the instant center of the 4-link set-up needs to be. Lowering the front will put more weight on the front which will move the center of gravity forward. The bias weight and length of the car will determine how much it will change. We had to replot the 4-link every time we raised or lowered the front or back of the car. Now you have to understand that the car is 96" long WB and only weighs 2150 lbs with driver so it was affected a lot. Yours may not make that big a difference depending on your cars specifics........

I would weigh the car before and after you drop it to see how much it changed and go from there.....

Hope this helps....... :thumb:
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs