high speed problem 70 Cuda

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Post Reply
Message
Author
raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

high speed problem 70 Cuda

#1 Post by raffaplymouth » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi Guys ! , in my Cuda .. look like flying over 110 mph .... steering look like very soft .. and tires probably spin ! .. with 250 HP spay ..car have around 900-1000 HP , weight is 3420 lb with my ass .. very difficult drive straight at finish line ... if i will put a front spoiler ?? lowering the front ? can cause bad 60 FT ?? i have 90-10 front shock .. and rear shock is Qa1 all soft .. my best ET is 10.06@138 1.51 60 FT ... i would make 9.90 :smt003 :smt003 Thanks for your help !!
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

User avatar
wikd69
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 pm
Location: Rocklin, CA
Contact:

Re: high speed problem 70 Cuda

#2 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:17 pm

raffaplymouth wrote:Hi Guys ! , in my Cuda .. look like flying over 110 mph .... steering look like very soft .. and tires probably spin ! .. with 250 HP spay ..car have around 900-1000 HP , weight is 3420 lb with my ass .. very difficult drive straight at finish line ... if i will put a front spoiler ?? lowering the front ? can cause bad 60 FT ?? i have 90-10 front shock .. and rear shock is Qa1 all soft .. my best ET is 10.06@138 1.51 60 FT ... i would make 9.90 :smt003 :smt003 Thanks for your help !!
At that MPH you should be in the high single digits I would think, if you can improve your 60's. Mine turns in 9.75 @ 139.8 with a 1.44 60'.

I would look at your front end alignment - make sure you have enough toe-in under power - otherwise it'll have a tendancy to want to wander a bit at speed. There are others here far more experienced than me on this but that'd be my first thought.

congrats btw, on your build :) I've been following your progress and you're doing cool stuff with that thing :thumb:

My two cents :)
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

User avatar
Mike Peters
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: high speed problem 70 Cuda

#3 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:41 pm

90/10 shocks always let the front end stay lifted in my personal experience. Putting a front air dam/spoiler while the fornt end is that high in the air is going to do nothing but cause additional aerodynamic drag. Does the car still have torsion bar front suspension? Start tightening the front suspension and maybe go with better front shocks to control front end height at speed.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: high speed problem 70 Cuda

#4 Post by raffaplymouth » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:11 pm

wikd69 wrote:
raffaplymouth wrote:Hi Guys ! , in my Cuda .. look like flying over 110 mph .... steering look like very soft .. and tires probably spin ! .. with 250 HP spay ..car have around 900-1000 HP , weight is 3420 lb with my ass .. very difficult drive straight at finish line ... if i will put a front spoiler ?? lowering the front ? can cause bad 60 FT ?? i have 90-10 front shock .. and rear shock is Qa1 all soft .. my best ET is 10.06@138 1.51 60 FT ... i would make 9.90 :smt003 :smt003 Thanks for your help !!
At that MPH you should be in the high single digits I would think, if you can improve your 60's. Mine turns in 9.75 @ 139.8 with a 1.44 60'.

I would look at your front end alignment - make sure you have enough toe-in under power - otherwise it'll have a tendancy to want to wander a bit at speed. There are others here far more experienced than me on this but that'd be my first thought.

congrats btw, on your build :) I've been following your progress and you're doing cool stuff with that thing :thumb:

My two cents :)
Wikd69 yes i would have single digits !! in september i have the last race , i would make some improvement ... now this is my question and my problems :

1)high speed no straight : i will try with other shock ?? i have caltracs 90/10

2)60 FT now my better is 1.51 sec i have soft leaf springs with caltracs at lower hole .. i can try at upper hole ?? preload is set at zero on left and little bit preloaded on right side .. i would like 1.40 !!

3) buyed now new tires MT 28 10.5 15 drag slick ... pressure of last race was 11.5 psi and 45 psi on front MT tires

4) front allignement is at zero

5) rear shock is QA1 with single adjustement all soft 2 click forward

6) i have rear battery on right side .. i can install another battery on left side ?

7) my transmission burm the front clutch every race ... i dont know if this is normal .. told me is possible my full manual smr valve body is junk .... i would try with turbo action Cheetah
Last edited by raffaplymouth on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: high speed problem 70 Cuda

#5 Post by raffaplymouth » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Mike Peters wrote:90/10 shocks always let the front end stay lifted in my personal experience. Putting a front air dam/spoiler while the fornt end is that high in the air is going to do nothing but cause additional aerodynamic drag. Does the car still have torsion bar front suspension? Start tightening the front suspension and maybe go with better front shocks to control front end height at speed.
yes Mike .. torsion bar on front and leaf spring on rear !!
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

User avatar
clutchdude
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 pm
Location: Lancaster CA.

Re: high speed problem 70 Cuda

#6 Post by clutchdude » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Make sure when you do the alignment, you raise the front of the car to simulate acceleration.

When i do mine i raise the car 1.5 inches in the front.

raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: high speed problem 70 Cuda

#7 Post by raffaplymouth » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:04 pm

clutchdude wrote:Make sure when you do the alignment, you raise the front of the car to simulate acceleration.

When i do mine i raise the car 1.5 inches in the front.
Hi ClutchDude !! sorry for my Automatic !! my next race cars will be stick shift !! with lenco ! .. i can try to lower the front ?? i fear to kill the 60 ft
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

raffaplymouth
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: high speed problem 70 Cuda

#8 Post by raffaplymouth » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:29 pm

clutchdude wrote:Make sure when you do the alignment, you raise the front of the car to simulate acceleration.

When i do mine i raise the car 1.5 inches in the front.
Hi Dude .. you think is good lowering the front ? i fear at high speed .. look like flying
1970 Super Cuda 496 Indyheads
ET 9.32@148 1.42 60ft (250 shot ) :shock:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests