Leaf spring relocation sliders and pertches

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

dms2871

Leaf spring relocation sliders and pertches

#1 Post by dms2871 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:03 pm

This is what I want to do. I want to use the global west frame connectors (cause I don't want to cut the floor) and use the srd assassin bars. And also sliders I plan on using srd shock relocation kit and getting the shock plates too that go on the axle. So here is what I can't figure out...I see they sell offset hangers of many types, supposedly your supposed to be able to take loose the rear leaf spring eye and pull it over. (I'm not planing on doing this, I plan on using Afco sliders) so intern I'm assuming it's about the same thing in a nutshell. My question is what happens to the front spring pocket being said pulled over???? How can that be done when they are U bolted to the axle I'm assuming you have to move the pertches on the axle inwards also to the right deg. Any input on this would be great. Or some actual photos cause I can't even find a video of this being done

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Leaf spring relocation sliders and pertches

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:30 am

Are you attempting to move the rear leaf mounting point? If so, you're going to have to redo the axle mounts too as that location will change. The front mount often has enough slop in it to loosen up and let the rear of the spring move over some. If not you'll have to slot the mounting holes.

dms2871

#3 Post by dms2871 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:10 pm

John_Heard wrote:Are you attempting to move the rear leaf mounting point? If so, you're going to have to redo the axle mounts too as that location will change. The front mount often has enough slop in it to loosen up and let the rear of the spring move over some. If not you'll have to slot the mounting holes.

Yes. Like you used the sliders. I was looking at other posts where we were talking about tire size but I think I have that figured out. I've seen that you had to oval or slot the front eyelet bolt hole somewhere before but nobody far as I seen mentioned anything about spring pertches being moved also. So what would be best to do split monos or the same springs I have or single springs? Cut pertches off move in and reweld them? Like get every thing cut loose and unbolted put weight on car then move the whole thing over as a set and where I'm happy with it tack the pertches in place then take it apart and weld sliders in and pertches or is there a better method doing this?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Most people really like the split monos.

Yes, if you're wanting to move the springs in at the rear, it's going to take removing the old axle mounts, get you some new mounts - get a set of those from Smith Racecraft too, they make some nice ones. Mock everything up get your pinion angle set and rear end centered in the car then tack the spring mounts in. Need to use a jig when welding the spring mounts back on to make sure you don't warp the axle tubes.

dms2871

#5 Post by dms2871 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:29 pm

John_Heard wrote:Most people really like the split monos.

Yes, if you're wanting to move the springs in at the rear, it's going to take removing the old axle mounts, get you some new mounts - get a set of those from Smith Racecraft too, they make some nice ones. Mock everything up get your pinion angle set and rear end centered in the car then tack the spring mounts in. Need to use a jig when welding the spring mounts back on to make sure you don't warp the axle tubes.

That sounds kinda scary where do you find this jig?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 pm

Most chassis builders have them.

dms2871

#7 Post by dms2871 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 am

John_Heard wrote:Most chassis builders have them.

Don't even know where to look

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:14 am

Have to ask around, with a race track nearby I'm sure there are several. Go to one of your local races and ask some of the guys.

dms2871

#9 Post by dms2871 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:48 pm

John_Heard wrote:Have to ask around, with a race track nearby I'm sure there are several. Go to one of your local races and ask some of the guys.

I asked this guy I work with he's in the process of building a 69 Camaro that's going to be pro touring he has a 4 link rear end system and said moser did the axle for him