Little Trailer Rebuild

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Little Trailer Rebuild

#1 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 am

Couple weeks ago my Dad gave me this little old trailer that belonged to my Grandpa who passed away last year. We thought it might work out pretty good for hauling the golf cart around, mower, stuff in the yard etc. Got it home and measured the deck, 6' long. Guess what, Golf Cart wheelbase is also 6'. Soooo... Decided to lengthen it by putting a dovetail on it. Then got to looking at the little 8" wheels and got to thinking those won't be good on the Interstate. Next thing you know I've got it all stripped down for a total overhaul.

Already got new spindles (build your own axle deal), 5x4.5 hubs, new springs, mounts, etc. and have started on the dovetail addition. Also had to move the axle back, old one wasn't set back any.
Attachments
trailer2.jpg
trailer.jpg

Mike Peters

Re: Little Trailer Rebuild

#2 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Hey, a trailer rebuild thread. Why didn't I think of that? LOL That's gonna be a handy little unit to have around.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 am

Got a little more done Sunday on the little trailer overhaul, got the supports in for the dovetail. 1" angle iron, should be plenty for what I'm doing with it. After this photo was taken I welded some 1" strap in between the angle iron at the front to provide a lip for the steel plate that will go on the top side.

Just waiting now for my springs and hardware to show up, then I can get started on the axle.

Still need to locate a set of tires and wheels for it.
Attachments
IMG_20140202_132150_860.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Got the new springs, spring hangers, etc. finished up. Moved the axle back a bit so now it'll have a bit of tongue weight. Now just need to get some tubing to make the new axle, run the wires for the tail lights, paint the bottom and it'll be ready to flip back over.
Attachments
springs.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Made some more progress on Lil' Blacky. All new LED lights and wiring with 7 way connector so I don't have to use an adapter anymore. Earl Scheib wannabe paint job with good ol' Rustoleum should take care of the finish for a while. Got the new axle, hubs, etc. all mounted and today the new tires and wheels showed up so it's actually movable again. Should have fenders for it tomorrow, that's the weekends fab project making mounts for those and maybe I can get started on making ramps and decking for the dovetail.
Attachments
trailerwheels.jpg

wikd69

#6 Post by wikd69 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Yet another opportunity missed for a Fabricators Anonymous 12-Step intervention.

John, fabrication is an addiction that you can beat. We believe in you. Just take it one day at a time.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:48 pm

LOL - I'm afraid it's a bit late for that...

ytnova

#8 Post by ytnova » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 am

Looks like the perfect Dragweek trailer if you ask me, lol. Nice job John.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:03 am

Got the fenders finished and am now wrapping up the folding ramp. They seem to be stout enough, I had my weight on them last night bouncing up and down and seemed good. Should hold the golf cart / lawn mower fine I hope. Just need to make some straps to hold ramps up, cover the dovetail and do some painting and I'll have this little project done.
Attachments
liltrailer.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Sat May 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Finally got around to test loading the Golf Cart on Lil' Blacky today. Good news is my folding rear ramp didn't bend loading it 8-) . Just need to add some tie downs somewhere to strap it down and this project is done. It's a bit small for the cart, but will work.
Attachments
20140503_135352.jpg