Electrical outlets on outside of trailer

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Electrical outlets on outside of trailer

#1 Post by John_Heard » Wed May 23, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm getting ready to wire my trailer for 110VAC and was wanting to put some outlets on the outside of it (fewer cords to trip over). I'm trying to figure out what to use for the reciptical box. Ideally I want to run the wires down the wall on the inside so there's not conduit getting in the way along the wall.

I thought about a outdoor surface mount box, but the trailer skin is not thick enough to secure the box good, it needs to fasten to the plywood on the inside of the wall. Anyone got any ideas or looked at how they do it from the factory?

a1elec

#2 Post by a1elec » Wed May 23, 2007 4:55 pm

john, on my buddys trailer we used remodel boxes like you would in your kitchen. they come in different depths. we cut tem in to the side of the trailer so there flush on the outside. they extended in just enough to drop in the wires. he used romex wire to power them. actually ran them down and covered them with cheap baseboard. john

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Wed May 23, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I know what kind of box you're talking about - the ones with the ears that swing out right? So he's just attaching the box to the outside skin of the trailer? Seem like that is holding ok?

a1elec

#4 Post by a1elec » Wed May 23, 2007 7:26 pm

he you used the ears but we also drove srews thru the holes on sides of box into inner wall. hasnt come out yet he even drove off with a cord still plugged in. remember to use the g.f.c.i outlets with weatherproff cover and gasket. he sold the trailer otherwise i could of taken some pics.