DOT is now talking about going after Rv 's and car trailer

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

stimpy

#16 Post by stimpy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:05 am

Craig W. wrote:I thought the weight of the vehicle and/or number of passengers came into play as far as CDLs go.
you are correct about cdls ( starting point is 26,001 pounds , 10 people or more or hazmat involved) they are NOT checking for CDl's just proper trailering and hook up and only certain officers can do it not all officers are trained for this you can ask for credentials they have to give them to you when asked . the ones that will be doing it are CVSA officers and have the initials on ther lapel or collar ( required by law) these are big truck cops and know there stuff , you can get info on trailering and requirements from your State pd or the us dot , , he said the only if the rig looks unsafe or they see something when they drive by you is when they will pull you over . like the nose of the trailer dragging or chains not applied and this is not just to single us out its ALL Trailered vehicles wether it be it a boat , tractor or snowmobile . as we had a rash of boats coming off trailers lately.

race9899

#17 Post by race9899 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:58 am

stimpy wrote:
race9899 wrote:Also you can be fined for transporting fuel with out proper markings and paperwork
only if its more than 550 pounds worth ( if the drum is labeled and secured they ussually won't say anything )
Lots of my Bracket guys carry a drum of Alcohol plus 5-6 full 5 gallon jugs, Which are not labeled, Had a friend with an Alcohol Funny that had his rig pulled over in Minnesota and he had to have it towed and he got fined for Alcohol in fuel jugs, because they were not labeled and he was carrying now paper work for it.

drummondracing
Location: Colonial Beach VA If I am not at home or the track then I am probably at HOOTERS

#18 Post by drummondracing » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:47 am

I should have said that in my earlier post about md I live in VA but right on the state line and am about only 20min from Budds Creek (MIR) I Alot of time I race the buick at mir and just take it on my rollback so when going to MD I have to stop at the scales at the state line and get the 3rd degree about what when and where I am doing even though I have NOT FOR HIRE on the side of the truck and then when I come back to VA if the scales are still open I get the same shit. And here in VA we have what are called ''truck'' tags just a way of charging us for owning heavier vehicles and technically if I go to MD in my dually with my enclosed, even though I am not for hire I am suposed to stop at the scales but so far they havent enforced that one ...........and then there is the toll at the 301 bridge on MD that is another 9 dollars just to get home :roll:
74 chevy luv 355 sbc bracket car
70 Nova SS bracket / t.n.t car.
(Yes REAL SS 396 DISCS 12B0LT ETC)

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE 68-74 NOVAS

TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luis

#19 Post by Luis » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:58 am

I work for a oilfield chemical company (Champion Tech.). So I deal with hazmat materials on a dayily basis. The current rule here in Mississippi is something along the line of..... 1001 lbs. or 119 gallons you must have the every thing a semi-truck would have. Labels on all 4 sides, cdls, etc... Yes I have cdls with hazmat endomsment but I only need that when carrying more that what i said above.Or if I have to jump in a big truck(44drumer) to help out the operations men. This rule allows the salesman to carry a drum or two into the field in his or her pickup with out the use placards. Granted this is in a compny truck but with no signs or DOT numbers posted on it. It may be different per state but this is just my 2cents. 8-)

John_Heard
Site Admin

#20 Post by John_Heard » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:10 am

Ok here's the plan... Whoever isn't racing drives this ahead of all the race car rigs... we'll split up any fines between everyone to lower everyone's costs hehe
Attachments
Trailer.jpg

sc racing

#21 Post by sc racing » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:01 am

How did you get that picture of me?

Bob West

#22 Post by Bob West » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:09 pm

As an X truck driver, I still keep my CDL current, I thought it was long over due that joe blow could hook up his RV, Jeep,and boat trailer behind it (doubles) and drive all day and all night if he wished, but I as a truck driver was limited to 10 hrs driving with a mandatory 8 hr break between driving shifts (HOS has changed to 11/10) since I drove last. I'm guessing my load of Spam is worth more than he and his family or the family he runs in to because he's tired. I personally like LESS government involved in my life, but it just keeps gettin worse. They take half your money in taxes and then try and catch you on the road doing something wrong so they can take the other half.
72 Malibu-Nov. '08-1.329-3.995-6.280@106.94-9.988@131.62
best 60ft to date- 1.319
http://www.dragtimes.com/1972-Chevrolet ... -5251.html

stimpy

#23 Post by stimpy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:16 am

Luis all hazmat regs are goverend on the federal level states can make the rules stiffer but not less than what CFR 49 says been doing this now for 22 years pulling a tanker